Reception

Hi
My husband and myself are renewing our vows. It has been 10 years. I never had a wedding, just a ceremony. So i really wanted to do it up and have this big wedding. But our funds ran short and so i was wondering if it is okay if the wedding party where the only people who went to the reception and we rented a banquet hall at a hotel and they payed for there own meals. The hotel would set up everything and we all would have a sit down dinner.

Please I need help
Posted by candy; updated 05/10/04

I don`t know if it is polite to require your guests to buy their own meals. If they are close family and close friends, they may not mind, however. Have you thought about saving up money and waiting to have the vow renewal?? Try having a smaller reception, say under 50 people. This would be far more affordable. Also, call different hotels to get prices on catering and rental.
Posted by Missy; updated 05/11/04

"But our funds ran short and so i was wondering if it is okay if the wedding party where the only people who went to the reception"

No not okay!!

"and we rented a banquet hall at a hotel and they payed for there own meals. The hotel would set up everything and we all would have a sit down dinner."

No, not okay!
Posted by Hanna; updated 05/11/04

Hi Candy!

You really can`t "do it up big" with having guests pay for their meal. I agree with Missy....Try to postpone the date to save for the big event, or go a little smaller on the guest list. There are many ways to save if you check around with prices, and search for bargains. Also, there are many reception halls that offer deals if you use their in-house catering. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful day, and congratulations on 10 years!!!!!!!
Posted by Beth; updated 05/11/04

Try using your imagination for the reception, maybe you know someone with a lovely home where you can have you big reception party with all of your friends and family instead of a sit down dinner or find a hall that will allow you to bring in your own food then recruit family & friends to help prepare the meal of your choice and serve it buffet style.
Posted by Nodia; updated 05/11/04