Wedding Ring Placement

I have a dispute with several married women at work. I was told that your engagement ring goes on the ring finger first since you were engaged to be married first before the marriage. I was also told that you shouldn`t have to take off your engagement ring to put on your wedding ring. Which is correct? You actually can`t see the weddng band if the engagement ring is in front of it. Thanks!
Posted by l jackson; updated 05/05/04

The wedding ring goes on first because it is closest to your heart. During the wedding, it is typical for you to wear your engagement ring on the right ring finger. After the ceremony, you place the engagement ring back to your left ring finger behind the wedding band.
Posted by Beth; updated 05/05/04

Beth is right. The engagement ring goes above the wedding ring. Wedding should be closest to your heart.

Congrats!!
Posted by Krissy; updated 05/05/04

Yes, the wedding ring goes on closest to your heart. Of course you can take your engagement ring off at some point (you`ll need to clean it, naturally) but I guess the thing to do is to wear your engagement ring on your right at the ceremony or forgo it all together so that you do not have to fumble around re-arranging things in the chapel. I, personally, just plan eep my engagement ring on my left hand where it belongs, have my husband slip the wedding band on in front of it and just switch them later. I`m guessing that my mom or future mother-in-law will have issues with this, but pooey on them.
Posted by Robin; updated 05/06/04

When you think about it, the Wedding Ring (Band) trumps the Engagement Ring. I would rather be MARRIED versus ENGAGED. I also thought in the beginning, the Engagement Ring should go first then the band (I still do, to me the Wedding Ring is sealing the Engagement). I think, it is ones feeling/preference were and how they WANT to place the rings on their finger. I know there is nothing in the Bible, about that. I know that it is closer to the Heart!!
Posted by Eva Maria; updated 08/30/10