I Am A PR Raised Here, Husband Is Americano

My daughter will be 15 in October of this year, I am planning a Sweet 15 party for her, but things are tough, no one here is familiar with the celebration and we want to have one for her, she is a little excited but not much. We want to incorporate both families plus we are not catholic, we are baptist. The church ceremony is so symbolic and we want to emphasie that. We want to keep it simple, but something memorable. For her. We have another daughter who will turn 15 in two years, does anyone have any suggestions?? We don`t want to overdo it, just have something nice.
Posted by mom; updated 03/21/04

Hi i am going to do my quinceanera in oct 15of 2004 and all you have to do is find aunts and uncles to help pay for certain thing if you want and your husband will have a father daughter dance and you could do the church,hall,girls,guys,dj,or band,tables,limo,dress,shoes,nife,cake,invitations,bible,roseary,boquet fake and real, the real you leave at church for virginmary and she keeps the fake one, drinks,photos&video people,crown septer. The basic. And all your husband has to do is have a father daughter dance and watch his little girl grow into a woman. There is the changeing of the shoes where she has flat shoes all day and befor the father daughter dance he changes the flat shoes with high heels, and the doll need anything else e-mail me (jose5151@juno.com)
Posted by carina; updated 03/21/04

We have read and experienced the quience party within our familes when we lived near them (plus I had one which was very extravagant) , but now the problem is that we have no family nearby; I do not expect them to pay for the different things that entail the party. What we wanted to do was to combine both sides into the celebration so they could see and experience what a wonderful, symbolic ceremony and rite of passage this is. I
Of course we will be doing the church ceremony, but with a different touch; instead of the "catholic background" that it has. We will explain what each of the gifts mean according to the bible and how it pertains to now and her life. She will have a few of her friends as her maidens and do the shoe ceremony. She doesn`t want to wear a traditional quience dress, but something more subdued. We want to have a dinner but very light (no alcohol) but plenty of "spanish music and dancing". I want to have some spanish decorations, I remember having beautiful tissue flowers that we made tons of to put everywhere for mine, my friends and cousins helped mak them, what a beautiful sight. Of course we want arroz con gandules and a pork dish with other speciality food items, but we also want to include the german/english side also. I just need some suggestions in trying to keep it in budget and she is insisting that it not be so grandeoso..
Thank you for your suggestions.. I will keep reading..and keeping in touch... :)
Posted by mom; updated 03/22/04

Dear "mom":
I think that is so sweet of you to want to give your daughter such great present. I don`t know what town you live in, but I would like to offer you my service as DJ. I have done many quinceaneras from all over LATIN AMERICA. Including for girls who have Caucasian parents or step parents.
Visit my website. If you search real good there, you`ll find a wealth of information regarding quinceaneras. Don`t give up!

Rig

Visit our page for more info: Latin Image

Posted by Rig; updated 03/31/04

Thank you for your advice on the party for our daughter, plus the many great ideas I have received. As many of you already know, the quience originally was a mexican tradition held in the catholic church for the service; then a party afterwards. Many spanish countries have similar parties but call them by different names. Mostly they are coming out parties or debutant balls. Since I am no longer catholic, but want to uphold the spanish tradition of a coming out party, I wanted to combine both sides in this special celebration. All I wanted were some ideas on how to do that. I have received many emails in support of this event, but some have been very negative like I don`t know anything about the spanish traditions. To each his/her own. Too bad a few were so nasty. To those in support thank you so much. Things are going well so far and I have rented the hall and my daughter has already asked her friends to be "damas". Since they are english, they are so excited to be a part of this and very curious to see how it all turns out. My mother is getting music ready to teach them a traditional "PR" dance for the party, they will do this for all to see. I will let you know how things go.

Thanks again :)
Posted by mom; updated 04/05/04

Glad to know everything is coming well in your court. Accept the bad and the good and keep going strong. Let the boricua spirit take over and let it reap!
There`s no doubt you`ll find everything you need here and other websites. Did you see my website?
Peace
Posted by Rig; updated 04/07/04