Quinceanera Gift

My daughter has been invited to a classmate`s quince. We plan on giving her money as a gift, but what would be the "appropriate" amount. The girl is a friend of my daughter`s, but not a close friend, or friend of our family.
The quince, while stated as a "formal affair" on the invitation, is being held at a hall and the invitations, while listing the event as "formal," were done on a home computer and not formal at all.
THANKS!
Posted by J; updated 03/16/04

Probably $50
Posted by Kim; updated 03/16/04

Well, regardless of how the invitations were done, it is still a good idea to let people know, not to dress too casual on this special occasion. I think you have a good idea, how much you would like to give. Every gift is a good gift. Even if its a dollar. As long as the card is pretty!:> Why not just $15. A dollar for every year of her life?!?!?!? She can buy a cd with that, a pair of shoes that might be on sale, an outfit/shirt/pair of good jeans??!??!?! Since when has a child (excuse me, a young lady) turned down money? Unless they were spoiled to the core, and rejected it...but that is the only exception I can think of... Just as long as the card is pretty?! Have a great time at the party!
Posted by Veronica; updated 03/16/04

Well, I had planned on a nice card with $50 in it as the gift, but my daughter insists that I need to give $100!! These kids nowadays seem to think that anything less than that is "cheap."
I really think that $50 is an acceptable amount, don`t you??

J,

Most definitely! Besides if the quinceanera is lucky.. That will be her $50, to spend as she needs. My cousin received gift cards and money cards that ranged from $5 to $100, either way it adds up and she was in shock after it was all said and done, but the most she remembered was just the fact the people came and made this day a memory to remember! Despite what your adoring child may say, you work for it....smile., so its your choice.
Posted by Veronica; updated 03/16/04

J what city do u live in

I know thats a weird question but it can all depend on that 15 might be acceptable in some places where 50 is aceptable in others i personally think 25 - 50 dollars is good
And even though the invitations where done on a home computer doesent mean anything because maybe she did it that way to have more money for other things to make her party more formal u know what i mean? what did the invitations look like?
Posted by jennifer; updated 03/16/04

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area. To answer your second question....... I am not saying that homemade invitations were in poor taste, but due to the fact that the guests are required to wear "formal attire only," it would seem more appropriate to have more "formal" invitations--these are on plain paper--done on what looks like an inkjet printer. I agree that there most likely is a budget that is being used elsewhere, but most office supply stores have ready-made invitations that can be done on home computers, which would have been more in line with the type of event requiring formal attire. It is also being held at a neighborhood recreation center, which also seems to indicate a more semi-formal party. I don`t know--it just seems that the ones requiring only formal attire are usually held at ballrooms in hotels or specialty halls reserved for just such occasions. This is our first quince, so I mainly wanted to know what the proper protocol would be. Thanks, everyone, for all the info!!

I agree, $25.00 to $50.00. Especially if its for a friend i would go $30.00. I don`t agree on the $100.00. I can see if it was family, then it would be different. My daughters quince in in a ballroom, and everything will be very elegant. Homemade invites? Recreation hall? formal? nah, dont think so. I am definately thinking what you are thinking, cant be to formal .
Posted by Debb; updated 03/17/04

I think so too, Debb---- that`s why I`m kind of wondering now if I have gone to all this expense for something that may end up not quite so "formal"--- the gown, the alterations alone costing $50 (at least I got the gown on sale at a "David`s Bridal" outlet nearby!), the shoes, evening bag, hairdo, and then the gift. This is turning out to be an expensive event!
Posted by J; updated 03/17/04

J

Now i understand what u mean i did my invitations on a home computer also but there were very nice i went to a office store and got good paper and put my pic on it i wanted to buy mine but my padrinos for the invitations wan6ted to make them they actually turned out very nice so thats why i was wondering what they looked like and by the sounds of things she wants it to be formal but doesent really sound like she has the budget for it in which case she should have it formal.
Posted by jennifer; updated 03/17/04

Yes, Jennifer, but you did go and buy quality paper and it sounds like your invitations came out just fine. With all the technology today, it is possible to do formal invitations comparable to those you`d have to order from a printer. It just seems that if you`re instructing your guests "formal attire only" on the invitation, as this one is, that the invitation be formal. I think it is a lot to expect people to go to the expense of what is necessary for such an affair and then have it be less than that. Formal to me, means at a country club or fancy hotel with all the trimmings, but even if it is at a rented hall, it could be made formal depending on the decor and preparations made. Somehow, this one being held at a local recreation center (which is used for childrens activities most of the time--and shows it), doesn`t quite give the feeling of "formal." It should be interesting to hear what my daughter and her friends have to say about it. They all went and bought gowns, shoes, evening bags, etc and will be having their hair and nails done. For many of the kids, it is a pinch in the budget. Most of the kids invited to this one have never been to a Quinceanera and they aren`t sure what is proper and what to expect.
Posted by J; updated 03/17/04

Well if all the other girls did the same, its good your daughter got her formal attire also. You dont want her to be the odd ball and not have the formal attire just in case. I went to a wedding once, that stated formal and word was, "Father went all out on his daughters wedding." Well my family was dressed to a "T". Once we arrived, I saw family members of the bride in jeans. So I understand you, going all out when others dont. I guess now, you just have to wait and check it out once you are there. Dont get to angry, if you arrive and more than half are under dressed. Please let me know what the outcome is. Im dieing to know, how much were actually "Formal".
Posted by Debb; updated 03/18/04

Hey, Debb--- I`ll let you know how things turn out. Someone mentioned that wearing pastel colors was the appropriate thing to do for Quinces. I hope I haven`t made a mistake by letting my daughter choose a black gown! I figured that it is such a nice gown that she could wear it to other formal events. The Quince is from 7:30 till 11:30 at night, so I figured the black would be ok. Had it been an afternoon or early evening event, I may have suggested she get a color. What do you think?
PS-won`t get angry if it turns out to be more informal--life`s too short to get aggravated over such things :)
Posted by J; updated 03/18/04

Very true, life is to short. I think the black is fine. Like you said, she can always wear it to another function. Will you be going to the Quinceanera?
Posted by Debb; updated 03/18/04

No--not a family member. Only my daughter and her friends from school have been invited. We`ll be taking lots of pictures since this is the first formal event for many of them.
Posted by J; updated 03/19/04

I know this thread is an old one but I was trying to help a friend find an appropriate gift for his niece`s Quinceanera and stumbled upon this.

I think it is sad that you want to determine the value of your gift based on receiving a "homemade" invitation.

I am very lucky as I was privileged while growing up and I am thankful to my parents as I read this post. They taught me what is important in life.

Why was this young ladies Quienceanera not as "important" or "worthy" as someone that could afford invitations that were printed from a print shop?

Shame on you for placing a dollar value on the present based on who can afford expensive invitations.

That young ladies Quinceanera was as important to her and her family as one`s that could afford invitations printed in gold.

I hope that other`s that stumble upon this post, as I did, remember that gifts are from the heart and try to make every girls Quinceanera special.

I bet the ones that wrote above me didn`t think twice about dropping $100 for a steak dinner at Outback just because they didn`t want to cook on a Saturday night.

Shame on you!
Posted by Donna; updated 03/02/10

Well it doesnt matter if the invites were homemade their are people out there who are trying to save a dollar especially on an event like this. This is a very special day for the debutant. Anyways what do the majority of people do with the invites. They get thrown in the trash. I through my daughter a qinceanera and plan to do 2 more in 2011 & 2012 and the invites were homemade but looked classy. But anyways these debutants rack up a pretty good amount once the party is over so I think anywhere from $30-$50 is a good amount for a friend.
Posted by moma of; updated 04/10/10