Photographer Confession

I booked a photographer that was for $400.00 ok well it sounds like a great idea and did not see any of her photos. I know she is not a professional but I am on a tight budget. But I had the worst dreams last night about this. I am so scared I made the wrong choice. I spoke to the place who refered her and they said that she is just like having a friend do the photos. That she uses a reg camera and that her pics are ok. How bad can this be? I will get an album with 4x6 200 inside and i keep the negs. I guess my question is, is this a bad idea. I just need some reassurance thanks!
Posted by sabrina; updated 02/13/04

It really depends on what you want out of your pictures. If you expect them to be professional quality (re-touched, softened through lens etc) you won`t get that from her. I would DEFINATELY ask her for references of people she has photographed for before. If she doesn`t have a proof book for you to look at, her previous clients will be able to confirm or deny her capabilities. Hope this helps.
Posted by CLL; updated 02/13/04

No i did not sign a contract wiht her. I got to thinking and his family have very nice cameras and they will be taking photos also. I can choose from them also . I would get his friend to do it but he is weird and he does naked photos( i know freaky) and post them on the net and I am afraid he would adjust them --you know. I guess the photos are not that important the last photo I did of myself was when i was in high school. I take good photos too. HAHA. I am going to look at her work next sunday so I can make a better choice. Thanks for the input!
Posted by sabrina; updated 02/14/04

I have taken your advice and have asked her to take our engagement photos on sunday she is going to met us there(she is doing a wedding there that day-which is a good sign)So that I can get a "feel" for how she is she is charging me $40.00 but we are taking 24 photos so that I can get an idea of how good she is. Thanks again for the advice
Posted by sabrina; updated 02/17/04

I;m not sure what happened, but I posted something here yesterday and it hasn`t shown up. ANyway, I`m glad to here that you are having some preliminary photos done. This will give you a feeling of how well she will work with you. We are lucky as we have a very close friend that is a professional photographer, therefore he is taking all of our pictures. Yes, it`s expensive, but at the end of the day I want to have photos to remember it by. If she takes good photos, I don`t think that you will regret paying the $400 for them. You will have photos to look back on in the many years to come.
Posted by CLL; updated 02/18/04

We took the photos sunday --she gave me the film to get devolped. We did them for next day so i got dbls for 7.50!! i still had to pay her 40 think i got ripped on that deal it only took 30 min. To take. Chris is picking up photos at 6. I did like her alot she seemed to know where and what positions to take and she even gave me a hug at the end.!! I think we will get along great. We wore blue he had a blue plaid shirt and i had a blue tank top and matching pants. She said the whole time how cute we were. And Chris liked her too. I will let you know how much I liked them tomorrow.
Posted by sabrina; updated 02/23/04

Good to hear. I don`t think you got ripped on the price though. We are paying a lot more for our photos. However the person doing it is a very good friend (and professional photographer) and so I know that we will get wonderful results. Can`t wait to hear what you think of them.
Posted by CLL; updated 02/23/04

I love the photos!! Only 2 out of 24 I dont like--the sun was in our eyes. But the poses where awesome I feel much better now. Thanks C !!
Posted by sabrina; updated 02/24/04

So glad to hear that! I think your money will be well spent to have her take your photos on your wedding day. Congratulations again!
Posted by CLL; updated 02/25/04