Sweet 16 Birthday Party

HELP!!! I`m planning my daughter`s Sweet 16 party. No one in my family has ever had one. Any information or ideas will be greatful. I`m going to have it in a catering hall, but that about all I know.
Posted by Darlene; updated 02/10/04

Maybe you should try a surprise party! Invite a lot of her friends, girls and guys. Then maybe have a few of her close friends stay longer
Posted by Steph; updated 02/18/04

For my sweet 16 I wanted a very unique idea. All my friends were having huge fancy get all dressed up in prom dresses kinda party and that wasn`t really what I wanted. So me and my mom came up with a great idea. The theme for my party is going to be "The Grammys". We`re having the party at the party room in the town hall where my mom works. We`re gonna get a red carpet and lay it out in the main hallway. Inside tables are going to be set up with red table clothes and candles. Everything inside is going to be red and gold. And instead of having a candle lighting ceremony I`m goin to give out awards like best supporting friend and best supporting aunt to the people who mean most to me. The awards are going to be chocolate figures that you can make by melting chocolate into a mold wrapped in gold aluminum foil. After the awards we`re going to have a karaoke contest and the winner of that will also win a chocolate man award. And for those who didn`t win a chocolate man at the end of night get one as they are leaving. So the night is going to be fun and entertaining
Posted by Gregg; updated 03/11/04

For My S16 their renting a building that will hold my dinner for all my good friends and family. Im having a themed S16 which is the Roaring 1920`s the like mafia days. Where everything is like that from the food to the clothing attrie. But after my dinner I get to dance the night away, give her something that she will never forget thats what I wanted and also for the day to be about me for once since Im reaching a stage in my life. Hope this helps
Posted by Brianna; updated 03/25/04

I am planning a sweet sixteen for Jan. 2005. My daughter was not interested in it, until I included her friends, 4 of them are within weeks of each other. I`ve rented a hall & caterer, am getting a DJ with Karoke, they love to sing, and am building songs that we want the DJ to play. Of Course 16 candles, but looking for songs regarding "cars" since they all will be driving soon. We are doing "message in a bottle" invitations, and handing them out, not mailing them. You can make them very easily with a clear bottle, shreded paper, balloons, a candle & of course the invitation. That will get their attention! I am working on a slide show also with photo`s of just her (isn`t she lovely), her family (We are family) her friends (you`ve got a friend) and with her dogs (who let the dogs out). I am also making place mats with Did you know....sayings about the sweet sixteen person. Like Did you know what her name means (translation), made a honor roll 3 years in a row, etc. It should be a lot of fun!
Posted by Liz; updated 03/31/04