Recro Mikan

Where are the "old timers" who went to camp in the 50`s and 60`s -- Duke Miles the director, Jerry Spitzer,
Mrs Gutwillig (not sure of spelling), Luis the assistant cook, my good friend Louis Orenstein and so many others -- the socials on the basketball court, going over the hill etc
Posted by David Weiner; updated 07/03/08

I see a posting by David Weiner. I knew a David Weiner who had a sister, Susan.

Are you the same person?
Posted by Bennett Muraskin; updated 10/29/13

I have passed by the camp many times,even stopped once and saw bunk 13 the fond memories will last forever, I am also trying to find stu as well.....
Posted by Paul tessenholtz; updated 04/29/14

I was also a camper at wildwood , Sadie Fagen, Steve wax and mom were on staff along with Audrey Singer....Simeon was the cook there for years,he inspired me to enter the hospitality field,,,,many moons ago
Posted by Paul tessenholtz; updated 04/29/14

Hello Guys and Gals
I was a camper at Recro `62,`63,`64 and was a staff member `65,`66,`67 . I grew up in the Lillian Wald Houses and attended P.S.188 (the school where the camp buses left). I remember Stuie Nifoussi and I seem to recall that our mothers ran into each other at the bus stop and recognized each other from grade school on the lower east side. I also remember Mark Goodman,Bobby Sirota,Mike Cohen,Alan Arkan,and Gary Linton.See me on youtubeHowardNotowitz doing standup in Sarasota Florida.
Howard Notowitz
Posted by Howard Notowitz; updated 07/25/14

Remembering the days of summer re 1957-1962. Steve wax singing by the camp fire. The light and the dark yes there was dark. Days of innocence for many but eye opening experience for others. Raise a glass to the the godesses of imagination Madge and Rona Feder. To the non leaders who made our lives safe the nurse, rose yavell and the laundry, Larry Ealy the cook. Bill Schoenfeld the entertainer. A big hello to doris Bedell and her son Louis. Following the lives of some as we became men and women, some who became pillars of society and a few who ended up in jail. To those who went in to their own niches like raising icelandic horses or singing their songs for the joy of it it like John Yavell and Clayton Culley. Summers of forest and lakes to the long and winding road through life. Raise a cup and embrace the life
Posted by rob beck; updated 09/13/14

I was a Recro camper from 1961 to 1963. My wife a Mikan camper in 1969. I visited camp yesterday for the first time in forever. It is now run by a church organization. The directors were on site and allowed us free access.

They tell me that next year a reunion is planned. If any of you know more information, please share it.
Posted by Bennett Muraskin; updated 09/15/14

In 1968, I was a 15-year old C.I.T. At Mikan. Jerry Spritzer had just assumed leadership of the camp from Doris Bedell. Then something terrible happened. I was accused with other C.I.Ts. Who had an innocent camp out on our day off on the hill. The boys from Recro bragged that there had been sex there. Without interviewing any of us about what had or had not happened, Jerry Spitzer called my elderly parents (he called all of our parents) and told them to pick us up and take us home. We were being expelled. No questions, no discussion. I was unceremoniously kicked out of Mikan based on a rumor and a lie, but Spritzer did not care. He didn`t speak to me at all. He destroyed my parents` trust in me because they assumed the camp wouldn`t have sent me home if the charges weren`t true. Jerry Sprizers`s authoritarian actions hurt many parents and teens that day. For that reason, I don`t have anything to nice to say about him.He was selfish because he wanted to project a "tough guy image" when he took over Mikan from Doris. He did not care what was true or not true,so he hurt my family. I was an only child of elderly parents who had no way to cope with a Sprinzer`s "verdict" based on lies -- an unnecessary betrayal.
Posted by Chana; updated 08/11/23