Quinceanera

Im a sophomore in high school and I`m doing a school report and presentation on quinceaneras and I wanted to know if anyone could give me some helpful information or answers to these questions:
1. Who thought of the quinceanera
2. What`s the history behind it
3. How long has it been around

And any other helpful tips. Thank you.
Posted by Gricelda; updated 11/14/03

Hello! well i will try to look for ur info and tell u alright. Oh and what high school do u go too? I GO TO GARFIELD HIGH SCHOOL #!
Posted by cutee; updated 11/14/03

Aye...thanx...and i go to tracy high school. Its in the central valley, california. Where is your high school at?
Posted by Gricelda; updated 11/16/03

HEY I GO TO MARSHALL... IS GARFIELD MASCOT THE TIGER?
Posted by maryjane; updated 11/16/03

Go to yahoo and type quinceanera in the search box and you will get a bunch of links
Posted by Margie; updated 11/17/03

Check this site for more information on history of quinceaneras: http://www.mexconnect.com/mex%5F/travel/dpalfrey/dpquince.html

Good luck and have a nice day
Alejandro
Posted by Alejandro; updated 11/17/03

Yeah there is alot of info at those sights!!!!!! r u doind it for senior project?? But anyways i go to TOKAY HIGH in small ass LODI!!
Posted by Mel; updated 11/17/03

IF YOU KNOW WHERE THERE IS A TUXEDO SHOP NAMED AJ`S TUXEDO SHOP THERE IS A PAMHLET THERE. IT TALKS ABOUT THE HISTORY OF QUINCENARAS AND WHY WE DO THE.
Posted by CDC; updated 11/18/03

This you can answer to me this questions because i really need am doing a project please thank you
Posted by beatriz rios; updated 12/17/03

Why do they have it for?
Posted by priscilla; updated 02/09/04

Umm your stupid if you dont know about the quinceanera and ur spanish eyy
Posted by pinkee; updated 03/08/04

Hey!
Im a freshman at ucsb and im doing a research paper on chcano feminism. I wanted to also tie in the meaning and purpose of a quinceanera. I know that it is a celebration when a latina turns 15 and then is welcomed into adulthood. My question is, what are the expectations of the quinceanera, does it make her more responsible in taking on the struggles and duties of her ancestors. By turning 15, does she have to put her life on a halt to take care of her family? if this is true, why are quinceaneras are still celebrated today. Woman have more oppotunities now and should be able to recieve an education so that they would not have to be forced in repeating the hardships of their elders.
Posted by drea; updated 11/03/04

First of all, Chicano issues are tough to agree with, second, feminism is even harder to come out with an agreement. You have a very difficult research paper ahead. If I were you, I wouldn`t include the quinceaneras topic on it for two reasons. First, the quinceanera celebration comes from ancient times, it is not something new that "Chicanos" invented. Quinceanera celebration comes from the Mexican territory, but if you ask Chicano, he/she will tell you that United States is Mexican territory, first disagreement. Don`t ever confused a Mexican woman with a Chicana. It is two different things. Of course there are Chicanas nowadays that celebrate quinceaneras but not necessarily the right way. Second, what is feminism? As you may know there is no one exact definition. There are people that think that having sexual relations with their husbands is wrong. They think is anti-feminism. There are some extreme femisists out there. To come out with an agreement is as difficult than to explain what Chicano really is.
If I were you, I omit the quinceanera celebration and use a different theme. I know I am going to get some reactions, and I don`t mind. What i do mind is that most of those reactions will come from uneducated people who speak their minds without thinking. Please, do some thinking before writing a response. I`m not telling you what to do, I`m just telling you how to behave. Quinceanera celebration has nothing to do with feminism. Is a celebration to present the girl to society. It doesn`t mean she has to go get marry and have kids and do everything the machista man, as most Mexicans are stereotyped, asks for. It means that she is one more young woman in society. That`s it. Don`t get confused by all of those terms such as feminism, chicanism, etal. I hope this helps you and remember, quinceanera celebration is part of the Mexican Heritage, not the Chicano`s.

Thanks
Alejandro
Posted by Alejandro; updated 11/03/04

Thank you for your curtious response. I do find myself agreeing with you that the celbration of a quinceanera does indeed come from old Mexican traditions and not from a Chicano tradition, but now you`ve made me curious. Where did the stereotype come from that when a girl in the Mexican culture turns 15 she is obligated to carry out the expectations an adult woman? i`ve done some research on the net and some of the sites informed me that the celebration ment that the girls must take on certain roles that are expected by their elders or men. Can you help me better understand where quinceaneras evolved from? Do you know of any good resources I can find? though i still want to write about feminism, even if it is such a broad topic, maybe i can tie in the stereotypes of the celebration and how it is misused by Chicanos. I hope im not getting you aggravated with my asking, but then maybe i can include briefly in my essay the wrongful meanings people, including the Chicano culture, give to the original ritual of a Quinceanera.
Please, if anyone could help me in my research, I will be truely grateful. Thanks-drea
Posted by drea; updated 11/03/04

I think that you have researched too much because I am a Mexican-American woman and I turned 15 not so long ago. I didn`t even know I had to take responsabilites. I do not know what responsabilities you are talking about. If you mean like the girl has to start cooking, and taking care of the younger generations, then maybe you are right, but that is just something we do like help around in the house that we turn 15 doesnt meant that we get more responsabilites. It just means that we are more mature to make certain decisions and I think you went too far with the research because I don`t even know what you are talking about. Don`t confuse your self quinceaneras are just parties for the people to celebrate that the girl is more capable of being mature. At least thats what my mom and grandma thought me. Oh and sorry for the misspelings i am in a rush.
Posted by alejandra; updated 11/30/04

Well sapposably it originated back in the Azteca days. And the aVE. COST TODAY IS ABOUT 8,000 DOLLARS.
I`M HAVING MINE IN JUNE.
Posted by vicky; updated 07/05/05

Griselda where in central valley i live in fresno
Posted by Cynthia; updated 07/07/05

I read that it dates all the way back to when the Aztecs were around.
Posted by Mariposa; updated 07/07/05

Hi. It was a long time ago you asked that question, but here is a good story on how it all got started. Go to this link: http://www.djexplosionsd.com/renegalindo/tradition.html
Posted by Patty; updated 07/08/05

Hi! Here is a good source to learn that: http://www.djexplosionsd.com/renegalindo/tradition.html
Posted by Patty; updated 07/08/05