Sweet Sixteen

I am having a semi-formal event for my daughter`s sweet sixteen this coming Nov 22, 2003. Aside from the 16 candles, the DJ suggested doing this to liven the party :

My husband is suppose to carry glass shoes to my daugther while she is wearing sneakers. My husband will then take off the sneakers from my daughter and will put the shoes on. After that, he (my husband) will dance with my daughter.

According to my DJ, this is mostly done on Latin American parties.He claims it`s more of a symbol for a girl turning into a womanhood. Is this true? I like the idea but I feel uncomfortable doing something I am not familiar with. Similarly, I have a different ethnic background. Please help. Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Gina; updated 11/13/03

This tradition is strictly optional! Judging from the quinceañeras that I have attended, you are looking at a 50/50 chance that they will honor the changing of the shoes.
Posted by Ana; updated 11/14/03

This tradition is strictly optional! Judging from the quinceañeras that I have attended, you are looking at a 50/50 chance that they will honor the changing of the shoes.
Posted by Ana; updated 11/14/03

I THINK YOU SHOULD DO THE CHANGING OF THE SHOES BECAUSE IN ALL THE QUICEANERAS I`VE BEEN TO, THEY DO THE CHANGING OF THE SHOES
Posted by MAYRA; updated 11/14/03

I think u should do it too. It looks really nice. My dad is doing that too. U will like it alot.
Posted by cutee; updated 11/14/03

Dont do it if your a damn white girl!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Tia; updated 02/20/04

What`s the big deal about it? That custom is typical of Quinceñearas, the hispanic coming-of-age ceremony, but what does that matter? We should be tolerant of different cultures, not fearful. This is how predjudice starts.
Posted by Rachel, age; updated 05/02/04

My best friend (who is white) decided to use our cultural tradition of the changing of the shoes. This has only brought our family happiness and has brought both of our families even closer than before. You must remember that there is no greater honor than for a person`s culture to be upheld by another`s.
Posted by Precioso; updated 05/10/04

Hi Gina,
The changing of the shoes from flats to heels is a tradition, but it`s optional if you all don`t feel comfortable doing it. Actually the high heel shoes don`t have to be the clear vinyl ones unless you want them to be if your doing a Cinderella theme. They are usually white and whatever type looks good (and is comfortable for your daughter to wear for dancing). They symbolize changing from a little girl to a young woman since girls wear flats and women wear heels.
Posted by Pat; updated 05/10/04

Hi, Im having a S16 also in September, My uncle is going to change my shoes because hes the only father figure in my life. So he`s going to change my white flip flops into my white high heels. It looks really nice and its really sweet. Its usually done in 15 neras but i decide to do it too.
Posted by ~Brianna~; updated 05/11/04