The Mass

Ladies, I need some input....please....
I have run into a problem with arranging the mass. Can any of you tell me if you were denied by the catholic church to perform your quince because you did not have 2 years of consecutive CCD classes or youth formation? Or is the community I live in being a bit discriminative or to be kinder closing the door on us. Or am I just completely miss understanding what is required? Help? Any information given is greatly appreciated!!!!!! Some facts: My little sister has completed baptism, communion, attended some ccd classes there after until she moved to another state. Then the state she lives in will not allow her to attend confirmation classes because she is not old enough. Does any of this make sense.
Posted by Veronica; updated 10/17/03

Niña, I totally hear you on the discrimination thing. I would check with the diocese guidelines and make sure that they have their reasonings down in writing.
Posted by Ana; updated 10/17/03

Ana,
Thank you for reading this message. I am sadden because I have had to disappoint my sister. I have to explain that it is not her character being criticized but that the Texas diocese is not exactly receiving of strangers. The sad thing is she attended this church until she moved and now they will not acknowledge us. Broken hearted in Texas. Well I wish the lucky a successful quince!
Posted by Veronica; updated 10/20/03

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL CHURCH AND SEE IF YOUR SISTER CAN DO THE CLASSES ON A HOMEBOUND BASIS. SHE WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLETING THE CLASSES ON HER OWN. MY DAUGHTER, DUE TO ILLNESS, IS NOT ABLE TO ATTEND THE CLASSES BUT SHE IS GETTING CREDIT FOR THEM BY DOING THEM AT HOME. GOOD LUCK
Posted by ANGELA; updated 03/15/04

This may sound bad but if its really important for her then she should do classes and have her quince for her 16th birthday or u should find a different church
Posted by jen; updated 03/15/04

I have been Baptized and I am free will baptist I was wondering can you do a quinceñera or sweet 16 in those religions I know you can have the party but can you have the church ceremony? My preacher was formally catholic and I really want to include god in my celebration but I dont know how. I was going to be rebaptized. Anyway can yall help?
Posted by Guerita; updated 03/15/04

Jen,

My sister has been attending classes, the only conflict is the fact that she has a lapse of time. Between one state to another. Since they are not considered consecutive is what makes it tough. My sister could of had it in Texas via taking an exam via mail from one church to another. But the state she currently lives in,the catholic church she is affiliated with now, does not recognize quinces. The only thing they have offered is to announce her name during mass as completing her 15th birthday. I told her not to give up and to continue her classes and to seriously consider a sweet 16, but in our traditional family, the suggestion has not been received with open arms. But we are still asking questions, there has to be a way. :> Either way we will celebrate this great day coming!!!!!! And God will be there either way! :>
Posted by Veronica; updated 03/16/04

Jeannette,

Thank you for the contact #, every little bit of information helps.

Guerita,

Believe it or not other religions have offered to acknowledge this practice but with some exceptions and/or adjustments. We are seriously considering these options! But we have one more month to make a solid decision. Pray for us that all works out well.

Jeannette,

Thank you! Good luck with your daughter`s quince. I hope it turns out beautifully, and I`m sure it will be a memorable one!