ABC News - Wedding Videographer Nightmares?

Hi, we are doing a story here at ABC News about wedding problems and would love to find someone who hired a videographer and had a horrible experience. If this describes you, please drop me a note. Thanks!

Erik
Posted by eriko; updated 10/13/03

Hi Erik,

I just send you an e-mail from my work addy about our nighmare of a video guy for our wedding day. I didn`t mention, that if search Chicago wedding message boards, you`ll see I posted on all of the about our BLUE VIDEO and rude videographer!
Posted by Tracy Cipriani; updated 10/17/03

Hello Erik,

I have a story of a videographer nightmare.

I hired a videographer here in Atlanta, Georgia by the name of Pierre Carson of Carson`s Videos. When I first met with him he seemed like a very nice, Christain man. Upon signing the contract I asked him to go over his cancellation policy, as I did with all previous vendors (Tip I received from my wedding guide books). Well, he informed me that the only thing that was non-refundable was the $250 deposit given to him upon signing the contract. The remaining balance would be due 2 weeks prior to the event date. Being that I was full time student, not working and my fiance and I were on a tight budget I didn`t want to pay the lump sum 2 weeks prior so I had begun to pay on the balance little by little.
Well unfortunately the wedding was cancelled two months prior to the expected date. I called and informed the videographer along with all my other vendors. I also provided a written cancellation. All this was done two months prior to the expected date. So he reassured me that my $300 payment would be returned to me after the date I had booked, claiming that was his policy. I patiently waited and when time drew closure I called to remind him of the balance due back. He informed me that he would need some extra time because he has received alot of cancellations. Another month passed and when I tried to contact him, leaving numerous messages for him to call me back. When I did not receive a call back, I mailed him a certified letter informing him if I did not receive the balance due back to me that I would have to take him to small claims court. Well he finally responded to my letter with a letter informing me he would not be returning my balance because he was unable to get another wedding booked for my date. He also claimed to have called me prior to explain that to me. I was highly upset by this letter and now am seeking legal actions against him.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell my story. This whole experience has been hell for me and if you could help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it. I can be reached at ne_limits@yahoo.com.

Thank you again,
Nadia
Posted by Nadia; updated 10/29/03

Why does ABC News have an axe to grind against Wedding Videographers? Must be a slow newsday I guess. Can`t they think of something more worthy to "report." What about doing a story about how many great Wedding Videography Experiences people have had in the past 20 or so years. As a wedding videographer I am insulted by this lame attempt at muckraking. I`m pretty sure ABC news has allegedly done more harm with their slanderous, unsubstantiated, sloppy and salacious journalism over the years. Isn`t it the media in general, and ABC specifically, who is responsible for getting George Bush elected as President by the narrowest of margins in history? And isn`t the fact that Bush is President the very reason we`re at war right now where hundreds of American soilders are dying monthly? ABC NEWS is the really enemy here not some hard working videographer. Sure, there`s a few bad apples in every industry, but to try and make a sensationalized news report about it is plain ludicrous.
Posted by Craig; updated 10/29/03

Erik --

We`re officiants who create & perform customized wedding & commitment ceremonies. We have such tales you seek, but not re videography in particular.

If you`re interested, contact us through our email address listed above, or my personal one at: logosophias@netscape.net.

You might also visit our two websites:
Http://www.logoswed.bigstep.com/.
Http://pages.ivillage.com/celebrants/.

Regards,
Bonnie Garchinsky Sharshon
Logos Ceremonies
Posted by Bon; updated 10/30/03

Dear ABC News...please seek out good videographers to give people the idea we are not all bad. As in every business there are the bad seeds, but part of the problem lies with the customer not doing enough research. I don`t think it`s insulting, but as others have stated, you MUST show the other side instead of just the bad things...news media never seem to focus on the good stuff...oh and I have an even better topic...which is what leads to bad videographers...HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE IN AMERICA...PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!
Good luck and let us help! Tell us when the story airs, too!
P.D. Photographs & Memories, New Hampshire...
Posted by Patti Duke; updated 11/01/03