Small Family Reception...can They Pay For Themselves?

My fiancee and I are getting married Aug 7, 2010. AND we`re moving into our new place in May. We are funding everything ourself and are somewhat strapped on money. We had planned (as invites will go out soon) to have a reception at the church hall. But while talking last night we thought about: having the wedding at the church as planned but only invite family and very few friends. Then afterwards going out to eat...here`s the catch: can they pay for themselves? Is that awful? I want all family and friends to be there however we just cannot afford all the extras that go along with renting a hall, decorations, food etc. It`s all the little things that cost...I`m just not sure what`s the best way to go about this. Any in-site or suggestions appreciated!!
Posted by Julie; updated 04/14/10

It is tough to do everything you`re trying to do on a very tight budget and while I think most people understand this, asking them to pay for their own dinner is a bit unorthodox and may make some people feel uncomfortable.

You need to consider that they have the same budget constraints that you do. Many do not have formal or even semi-formal attire to wear to a wedding. There is the expense of travel for some, the expense of a gift and possibly the expense of child care/pet care/or house care if they care traveling.

If you want to keep costs down here are some options:

* ask a family member to lend you their house for the reception and offer to clean it up before and after ward.

* have friends and family make foods together to serve at the reception. Who says you can`t have sandwiches and chips at a reception?

*Make your own cake - a sheet cake taste the same and is a LOT less expensive than a tierd cake.

* Are you crafty? Make your own invitations. You`d be surprised what you can make with a computer and a tip down the scrapbook section.

*Forego the tuxes for suits and the formal $2,000+ wedding gown for a beautiful white dress.

Hope these ideas help. Get your friends together and think outside the box. A wedding doesn`t have to be expensive to be special. Would I LOVE to do your makeup for your sure!! But life doesn`t always work that way. Good luck!

PS: I would not cut cost on a photographer. It`s the only thing I regret about my own wedding. We had a relative take pictures and they are all dark and I didn`t get all the shots I wanted.

Visit our page for more info: Facial Artistry

Posted by Deidre; updated 06/11/10