Quinceanera

Help, my adopted Peruvian daughter wants to have a Quinceanera. I don`t know how to begin planning, what the traditions are, who to invite, etc. Any ehlp will be appreciated.
Posted by Linda; updated 09/01/03

HEY LINDA,
IN MY TRADITION IN MY FAMILY IS TO INVATE ALL THE FAMILY AND THEN U NEED TO BUY OR MAKE HER DRESS.WE ALSO HAVE CHAMBELANES AND DAMAS. YOU MAKE THIS SPECIAL DANCE CALL "EL VALS" BUT U HAVE TO GET SOME ONE TO HELP YOUR QUINCENERA. THATS PRETTY MUCH IT.
Posted by Nancy; updated 09/01/03

Hello, well the first thing you have to do is reserve the church about six months ahead, then the reception room if needed, some people do it at home, reserve, the food, but before you do that, do a list of the invitees, they are family, and friends close to you and the quinceanera. Once you have the list, decide how much money you are willing to spend, if money is not objective then it will be easier to plan. However, budgets can make your plannings harder, chose decorations, invitations, one for family, chose a dress for her, and start selecting the padrinos they are usually a very good friend of yours or a close relative. Most of the main padrinos are the same that baptised the girl. Some people have many padrinos but others only the basic. Talk to the person that makes the invitations for the basic ones. Make arrangements with a dj, musical band, mariachi if desired, most people only hire a dj. About three onths before the party date contract a dance instructor to teach your daughter and the damas and chambelains to do the waltz. If you don`t want waltz, a dance with the dad and padrinos and friends is fine. You don`t have to rehearse for that. Now that you have the church, dance hall, dj or band, dance instructor, invitations, padrinos, food, decorations, is time for the limousine, and start chosing the models of tuxedos for the chambelains and dreses for the damas if they are needed. Also, if you are going to have liquor, start buying little by little, take advantage of the sales at big stores like, Costco. Buy sodas plates for the cake, and food, plastic cups, spons, forks, napkins, if they are not included with the hall, some are some aren`t. Make sure you know what is included when you do the contract with the dance hall, avoid problems, ask for a written contract. Sometimes they don`t let you give alcohol they sell it. If I were you I will chose a different hall because guests don`t feel comfortable paying to go to a party. Especially latinos, treat them good. I think that is the basic, church, hall, food, music, invitation, recuerdos, decorations for the church and hall, limousine, and something very important, photography, call a photographer about three to four months ahead, good ones are very busy. They also do video, most of them if they don`t hire a person that does, it is cheaper. Padrinos, food utensils, nd dresses for damas and quinceanera, tuxedos for guys, and you are set. Remember to do this ahead of time, you will save money buying things little by little and you will also fell relax. Don`t forget the dance instructor if wanted. If you have any question, feel free to ask me, sacubayuca@yahoo.com or visit this site for more information www.csupomona.edu/~acano/web/QUINCEANERAS.htm
Good luck and don`t panic.
Alejandro
Posted by alejandro; updated 09/01/03

The quinceanera is a wonderfull ceremony and event that the girl has been whishing for. You do need to make sure that you have all the important thing ready, and just incase something will happen always prepare your self with extras. I, myself am having one in April, i really havn`t done much but choose my dress and agreed to what my sister has been doing, she has been the one who has been aranging my quinceanera with the help of my parents. One thing not to do is wait untill the last minute, don`t do that. Another thing to do is listen to the quinceanera on what she wants, it is her party. Well make sure you have all you need. Don`t worry and make the best of what you have, and remember the day is what your daughter has been waitting for so try not to mess it up. She will be thankfull for making her dream come true. It is your choice on how you make your party. Have fun on your day, because it is your day.
Posted by Elisa; updated 12/28/03