Fake Wedding Cake

My daughter is getting married on September 13, 2003 in California andI looking to purchase a small fake two tier square wedding cake. Can`t find one under $50... Any suggestions and fast delivery?!
Posted by Christi; updated 08/13/03

Hi Christi -

I`m getting married Sept 27 and I am having a fake cake, which I am making myself. I am not crafty at all, but here is what I did.

I purchased styrofoam circles, which you can find at any craft store. I purchased 3 inch ribbon in a plum color and glued it around the stryofoam with clear craft glue and also purchased some white beads to go on top of the ribbon. As the wedding topper I am using some beautiful fake flowers that I also purshased from a craft store. The total for this was just under $35.00 and it is absolutely gorgeous. You can`t tell it is fake unless you really get up close.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!

Kerri
Posted by Kerri; updated 08/14/03

Christi,

Is this for decorations ??!? What gave you the idea that a fake wedding cake would be classy?Put some small ice sculptures in the reception. They are so beautiful -guests will be talking about them for yrs to come!
Posted by Laurie; updated 09/12/03

Laurie, what gave you the idea that anyone would appreciate you being so rude? The fake cake would not be for decorations, Einstein. It would be so that the real cake would be less expensive. You put the fake cake out for show and cut into and serve the second cake.
Posted by Jenna; updated 09/13/03

Jenna, when I read what Laurie said I too thought it was really rude. I`m glad I wasn`t the only person who felt this way. Christi wasn`t asking if anyone thought it was classy - she was just looking for where to find one.

Christi, I can tell you that I went to a wedding several years ago where the centerpieces on the tables were a combination of fake and real cakes and it was quite nice. They were decorated beautifully and looked quite CLASSY actually. They were the talk of the reception and everyone loved them!

Whatever you decide to use these fake cakes for - I`m sure they will look gorgeous. When I talked to the bride who used the fake cakes, she used square styrofoam blocks, stacked one on top of another and had the cake decorator decorate them. Since they were so easy to work with it didn`t take too long and the price was very inexpensive. The cake decorator actually used older frosting that they would have thrown away and she said it was easier to work with because it was a harder texture and thus easier to spread.

Good luck!
Posted by Kay; updated 09/14/03

Christi,
My best friend got married two years ago and had a fake cake instead of the real thing. No one could even tell is was not real unless the went right up to it and touched it! My friend used the sheet cakes to serve to the wedding guests, just like you intended to do. She saved so much money! I am getting married next October and am considering making my own fake cake! I THINK IT IS A WONDERFUL IDEA! GOOD LUCK!
P.S. Please do not listen to Laurie`s comments!
Posted by Alyssa; updated 09/14/03

Just a question, how are you supposed to do the traditional cake cutting with a fake cake? And how are you supposed to feed each other fake cake? Why not just buy a small inexpensive cake with two small tiers and have the sheetcakes cut in the kitchen to serve the guests.
Posted by Kerry; updated 09/14/03

The fake cake makes the cake look bigger, instead of just having two tiers. When my friend did it for her wedding two years ago, she had separate little round cake (like a groom`s cake) and used that. No one knew the difference. It did not take away from the moment at all! I realize everyone has a different way of doing things, but if you are looking to save some $$, I think that a "fake cake" is a good way to do it!
Posted by Alyssa; updated 09/15/03

Years ago my bakery added 2 fake round cakes to our cakes and frosted them as he did the others. They looked so real, my husband and I accidently cut into one of them. Well, everyone got a good laugh. Maybe your baker can do it, too.
Posted by Pat; updated 09/15/03

Pat,
What kind of icing did the baker use on the fake cake? Just wondering...I am going to check with the local bakers to see if anyone can do it! That sounds so cool! :)
Posted by Alyssa; updated 09/17/03

Alyssa,
It was 15 years ago. I am assuming it was plain ole sugary bakers frosting. I Think the fake cake was a form of plastic, then the baker decorates it to match the rest.
Posted by Pat; updated 09/21/03

Considering wedding cakes run from 200 -$400 if not more .I think fake cakes are great .I had one for my wedding not one person knew it was fake!
And it had a pre cut slice in back for cutting and for photos. And then they had a piece of cake behind it so we could feed each other.
In our Photos not one person knew it was fake even photographer commented on what a beautiful cake it was.
And it only ran us 30 dollars
Why spend hundreds of dollars on a cake when you can use that money in another area like your dress or flowers of decor?
If you really search you can find gorgeous fake cakes or as I call them Faux cakes.
These are some examples..mine wasn`t a teared cake.
Posted by shell; updated 02/12/04

Hey, great idea, thank you
Posted by Father of Bride; updated 02/19/04

The fake wedding cake saved me a small fortune. My daughter got married and wanted this LARGE elegant cake as seen in a popular bridal magazine. This cake would have cost more than the weddng itself. Sooo, we bought the styrofoam, covered it with joint compound ($3.49 a gallon compared to spackle which is $12.00 a gallon) sanded it smooth, added satin trim between the layers with white glue, and a row of pearls on the cake. This cake had a total of ten layers on three stands. We bought etched crystal look glasses at a dollar store and assembled the three legged stand with these glasses. The glasses fit right into the styrofoam (no bakers plates required either). THEN, I ordered the top from a bakery, and I ordered another large two layer round cake from this bakery to serve to the guests. Everyone had wedding cake to eat, my daughter had her dream cake, no wast of left over cake, and everyone lived happily ever after. I probally could have sold the fake cake after the wedding and recovered some of my money, but we just tossed it when we cleaned up.
Posted by Brenda; updated 06/07/04

I have a question about this. I had talked to my bakery that I planned on making our cake. We picked out a cake that feeds alot more people than we need it to so we asked about substituting some of the layers with fake ones. The bakery told us the cost would not be much different because it still needs to be frosted and what not. How much of a cost difference should there be if anyone has any idea?
Posted by Tiffany; updated 06/11/04

I guess I can see the logic in having a partially fake cake to save money, but I think it would look sort of odd if everyone was eating cake, and the wedding cake itself was still completely intact.
Posted by Heidi; updated 06/13/04

Heidi: The caterers or whoever is serving the cake take it out to look like their cutting it in the kitchen then bring out the `real` cake, so nobody sees the other cake anymore.
Posted by Erin; updated 06/13/04

Brenda in 2004 told how she made a fake cake is there anyway she can contact me with a picture of the fake cake and were the glasses wine glass that she set the layers on.
Posted by kathy; updated 09/02/06

I am a professional cake designer and decorator and wanted to add a couple of facts on the subject of fake wedding cakes. A fake cake does indeed save money, but the point of it is to create a tablescape the can be truly breathtaking. Decorators are pushed to their limits to get cakes out for the weekends. Meaning , even very expensive cakes can be made kind of shoddy because of the lack of time. I have seen more tacky "real" cakes then fakes. There are so many decorators that don`t have the skills or the time to put out quality work, so give the fakes a chance! And by the way, most celeb cakes are fake, as are the ones displayed in bridal magazines, cake books and bridal expos.
Posted by Donna; updated 04/19/07

I am getting married in two week and the "fake cake" I have created will blow everyone away. I am having a vintage french bakery vibe and a huge dessert table/area. The pretty cakes don`t even taste good! What you do is go to Michael`s or a craft store, buy pre made fondant, roll over foam squares or rounds, then decorate(all supplies also at craft or party store). I will then pick up or have baker make a small 6 inch and I will cover it with the same fondant and use that to cut. I am also covering those styro square (every other) with fabric and ribbon as a display for my amazing cupcakes. I hate paying for things that are so easy. There are so many people out there that try to take advantage of brides it is sick! As for that beotch who said something about being not classy I am sure you are a joke. People who generally use that term are usually NOT classy or what have "poor taste".
Posted by kate; updated 04/26/07

Hi just reading all information on fake wedding cakes. I think it is a wonderful way to go. I have found a fountain with cake stands (wiltons) at a yard sale and it will hold a 18 inch cake so i was trying to find a way to make a cake that was classy. Yet at almost no cost for my Daughter wedding . Thank you all for the information to pull this off . Cherrie
Posted by Cherrie; updated 06/23/07