Recro Mikan

Where are the "old timers" who went to camp in the 50`s and 60`s -- Duke Miles the director, Jerry Spitzer,
Mrs Gutwillig (not sure of spelling), Luis the assistant cook, my good friend Louis Orenstein and so many others -- the socials on the basketball court, going over the hill etc
Posted by David Weiner; updated 07/03/08

I was there from 58-63, my last year as a junior counselor. I was pals with Marc Sokol, Woody Knopf, Marc Imowitz, Morris Pechwasser. Trying to remember others. I remember Hoffenberg and Robbins as the cool counselors. Over my years as a camper I had Bernie Isaacs?, Ira Binderman as counselors. Still trying to remember the rest. Learned how to harmonize and had a wonderful time.

Stu Nifoussi
Posted by Stu Nifoussi; updated 08/21/08

I was at recro from 1955- 1963. I was a jc with Stuart Niffoussi, and hav actually been trying to find him. There is a Mikan recro group. They are at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/camp_mikan_recro/, in case you are interested.
Posted by Andy Ravick; updated 02/14/09

I was a camper at Recro for about 5 years and a counselor for several more, circa 1954-1962. Jerry Spitzer was head counselor while I was there, Duke Miles` moods were read by whether he was smoking a pipe (a good day), cigar (standard day), or cigarette (bad day). We had our hands inspected before going into the Mess Hall, where color wars were declared between two counselors who got into a fight. Plenty of other memories--Apache Races, Maneuvers, moonlight swims, upper hill and lower hill bunks, eerie vendago stories embellished by counselors at lights out, canoeing on Lake Cohasset, socials at Mikan, wondering about Woapak--the girl scout camp across the lake--and so on. Be great to hear from anyone who stumbles onto this site, though it appears to have gone dormant. So many folks I remember fondly . . .
Posted by Steve Wax; updated 02/18/10

Steve,
I remember you well. You were a year ahead of me. You played a good guitar and had a really good voice. I remember you singing `They call the wind Maria", "Wasn`t that a mighty day?" and "Drill ye tarriers drill".
I posted some pictures from the summer of 63 on the facebook site,"I went to Camp mikan-recro"
Posted by andy Ravick; updated 02/18/10

Hi Steve (Wax),

I do indeed remember you (all right, this wasn`t my name in 1961 when you were my counselor - stuff happens in life...big smile). Of the 9 summers I was at Recro (`57-`65) the summer with you was the best of all. And to Andy Ravick, you`re also remembered with much fondness.
Cheers,
Ina Claire
Posted by Ina Claire; updated 04/01/10

I`ve got to admit, I`m surprised to be remembered, let alone with fondness. What was your name back then?
Posted by andy ravick; updated 04/01/10

Hi Andy!

I trust that you`re well and that the years have treated you kindly. We both played in `The Nightingale.` I think that was in `61?

I`m pretty security conscious so I`ll set up a new email addy so we can communicate. I`ll post it here tomorrow or Sunday.

Regards,
Ina
Posted by Ina Claire; updated 04/03/10

Gladly, My e-mail is andytherav@yahoo.com
Posted by andy ravick; updated 04/03/10

Camper,JC,C 50`s - 60. Great Life experience
Posted by Larry Schaeffer; updated 01/15/11

I went to Recro during the fifties and Early sixties, i was A jc in 1963, and I do remember Louis Orenstein. I bunked in the kitchen boy`s cabin that year.
Posted by Andy Ravick; updated 01/26/11

I was there 51`-53. Great socials, color war and having the ability to make choices.
Posted by Jerry Neimand; updated 01/08/12

There is currently (June 2013) an exhibit at the Rockland County Historical Society about the sellep away camps in Harriman State Park.

I was a Recro camper 1961-63. Steve Wax was my counselor and I would love to get in touch with him.
Posted by Bennett Muraskin; updated 06/04/13

Try this link to the Recro/Mikan yahoo group.

To subscribe all they have to do is address an email to
Camp_mikan_recro- subscribe@ yahoogroups. Com

Also they can go to http://groups. Yahoo.com/ group/camp_ mikan_recro/ and click on the JOIN NOW button.
Posted by Stu Nifoussi; updated 06/04/13

Hi Bennett! Good to hear from you. I can be reached at praecisio@gmail.com What are you up to nowadays?
Posted by Steve Wax; updated 06/06/13

I went to Mikan as a camper from 1949 to 1958 and as a counselor from 1959 to 1961 or 62. Lenoff was my maiden name. I remember Ronnie Rubnitz, Beth Brodkin, Jessica Walter, Rhea Targum; Doris Bedell; Mrs. Guttwilig; Duke Miles; Jerry Spitzer; Nicky Gordon; Recro`s color war; Janet who put her leg through the old dining room floor; Princess Ida; Luke Bragg. Would love to hear from anyone at Mikan during those
Posted by Lynn Lenoff; updated 08/03/13

My sister Beverly was a friend of yours from Lillian Wald and from Mikan. I was friendly with your brother Les, in the neighborhood, at Recro (We were together in "Alice and Wonderland". I was the March hare, I forgot what he played.) and in High School.
Posted by Andy Ravick; updated 08/03/13

I was a camper from 1961-63. I recall Jerry Spitzer running the camp like a military base. No showers, bathing in the lake, washing our own clothes, counselors permitted to use corporal punishment, dumped out of bed if you slept through reveille, thrown into the lake of you refused to participate in instructional swim. Wierd stuff for a Jewish Federation camp.
Posted by Bennett Muraskin; updated 08/03/13

Andy,
I was sitting here wondering if you were related to Beverly Ravick and now I know you are!!! This is actually the first "social network" I have joined. I am delighted to hear from you. I will tell my brother, Les, about you. How is Beverly? I remember camp fondly and am convinced that I am who I am today because I lived in a low income housing project, on the Lower East Side, went to day camp, and went to Mikan. Almost all my memories are fond. I decided yesterday to Google Camp Mikan. Thank you for your reply.
Posted by Lynn Lenoff; updated 08/04/13

If I remember correctly, Jerry Spitzer was not Jewish and Duke Miles certainly wasn`t. Recro was run much more strictly than Mikan was. There certainly would be no campers in either camp if it existed today. We didn`t even have windows or en suite bathrooms. Wasn`t it great!
Posted by Lynn Lenoff; updated 08/04/13

I went to Camp Mikan as a camper in 1967 and 1968 and in 1969 I was a waitress. Loved the camp. Many memories. Would like to hear from the waitress or kitchen staff from 1969 if you are out there!!!!
Posted by Mari; updated 10/29/13