House Of Brides - Beware!

For all you soon to be brides out there, a warning goes out to anyone shopping at any House Of Brides store in Chicago, IL. They also have a website, boasting "the world`s largest bridal mall". Let me tell you that this was the absolute worst shopping experience I had ever had in my entire life! The website has very, very good prices on nearly all designer wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses. I printed out a copy of the bridesmaid and flowergirl dress I intended to order and took it to the store in Schaumburg. I wanted five bridesmaid dresses and two FG. The snotty receptionist told me the dresses were ugly and gave me a quote $100 per dress higher than the website. She also could not guarantee me shipping, and told me that she had never even seen their very own website. Their wedding dresses were dirty, and the consultant offered me a slip so dirty I would not let it touch my skin. After an hour of being treated rudely, I left. The consultant never once attempted to help me with anything, even though I had made my appointment six weeks in advance. Everyone at the store was extremely rude and arrogant. Unfortunately I drove four hours to get to the store. The great thing is, I found my dress the same day at the BrideSmart across the street. When I got home, I looked on the Better Business Bureau`s website and was appalled at all of the complaints all five stores had lodged against them. One store had even closed down after 111 complaints in 18 months!! So brides, beware of this store and their website! The website is merely a ploy to get you into the store where the dresses are much, much higher priced. And the way the consultants and other workers treat people while they shop for the "happiest day of their life" should not be tolerated. Good luck to all of you, and don`t visit those stores!!
Posted by jodi; updated 05/13/08

Ordered my dress in January 08` from the oak lawn HOB and said it would arrive late May. Its 3 weeks till my wedding and the manager is not very helpful. Ive been told that " it`is on its way " twice until yesterday they said It MIght arrive 4 days before my wedding day! NO guarantee. They will pay for the cost of alterations but I can`t sleep at night. The two of us are Paying for the wedding Ourselves. Im loosing my mind. Any suggestions or tips to get the shop to hurry up with delivery? My wedding date is June 8
Posted by Lorena Garcia; updated 05/13/08

Hi

After reading a LOT of bad reviews for House of Brides, I just wanted to say that my dealings with them have been absolutely fine.

I had ordered a dress in January and then called to chase this up when the 16 weeks quoted delivery day had passed and still no dress.

I was contacted back by email within 24 hours of my query with them letting me know that they had apparently emailed when the order was placed to say that they couldn`t ship the dress outside of the US.

They then said that they would refund the order in full within 2 working days. Which has happened. So, not the outcome that I ideally wanted, but I cannot fault them for their customer service and communication.

If anyone is experiencing any problems then the person I dealt with was called Joan at the head office, she was only too happy to help and got everything sorted as she said she would. Top stuff.
Posted by Looby-Lou; updated 05/27/11