BEWARE Of David`s Bridal

Posted by Maria; updated 06/12/03

I am writing to you in hopes of saving new brides to be from making the same mistake that I have. The message I am hoping to get across to them is to BEWARE of David’s Bridal. Yes, they are a nationally known Chain of Bridal Stores and we are lead to believe that they are professionals in the bridal world. That is the furthest from the truth in my case. I want other brides to know my story so this does not happen to them.

I became engaged December of 2001. I could not wait to go dress shopping and start planning my wedding. I right away booked a hall and the church and the DJ and went dress shopping. Everything was going so smoothly. I went to David’s Bridal on October 26, 2002 and I found a dress that I wanted and purchased it that day (8 months before my wedding date) My entire bridal party purchased their dresses from David’s Bridal that day as well. I went to the back of the store to make my appointment for alterations and was scheduled for May 3, 2003. No one from the alteration department even looked at the dress.

I went back to the store to have my dress fitted and when I realized how much work the dress actually needed I asked the alterations woman if I would be better off getting a different style dress. I was assured the dress would be fine and that it was not going to be a problem. She gave me an appointment for June 7 to pick my dress up. (My wedding date is June 28, 2003). When I arrived I was so excited. I brought my mother, grandmother, and godmother so they could see the gown I would be married in. Within minutes my dream dress was turned to scraps on a hanger. When I saw what they had done to it, I was horrified. The hems were so uneven that the right side was about 1-2 inches off of the ground and the left side was dragging on the floor. The bust line was uneven and there was an embroidery decoration on the side seam of the dress which did not sit flat like it was supposed to. The fabric of the dress did not sit flat and made creases going down the side of the dress. The Alterations Department Manager then informed me that I should have never been sold that dress because it could NOT be altered the way I needed it to be. I was so furious I did not know what to do. I asked the manager what was I supposed to do and her reply was she was going to make this right for me and I was not going to leave the store unhappy. She said I could exchange the dress for any other dress in the store for an even exchange.

I started to feel better about the situation thinking there would be a way out of this mess. I began trying on different dresses and the one dress required a fuller kremlin be worn underneath it so the alterations manager gave me one they were selling to try on. When I opened it up and began to put it on I realized there was dried blood on it. I pointed it out to my bridesmaid who was helping me with these gowns and she thought the same thing. I immediately notified the alterations manager and her reply was “Oh I can get that out”. I was mortified to be treated so badly. I had no other choice but to continue trying on dresses, I mean what were my options with 3 weeks before the wedding?

After trying on 3 dresses I asked for others and was informed that there were no others that was it. I had to make my choice from 3 dresses because there was no other ivory dresses in my size. I could not believe this. One dress was a long sleeved over jacket type which I was not about to wear the end of June when the weather is normally in the 80-90’s. The second was so plain looking it might as well been a sheet on some ones bed. I had to go with one that is not even close to what I wanted. My original dress was strapless and so are my bridesmaid’s dresses so we could match. This one has for lack of other words southern bell sleeves that come off of the shoulder. When I had the dress on I pointed out that I could not even raise my arms without the dress lifting up and my fiancé’ is 5’10” and I am 5’2” so how was I supposed to dance with him at the reception? Their reply was to hold on to his waist. I could not get over how I was being treated. They acted like they did not even care. I was then informed that a refund would take up to 3 weeks to get due to they fill out paperwork and send it to the Corporate office and they issue the refund from there. I did not have any money to buy another dress and even if I had where was I going to get a dress and get it altered within 3 weeks?

I brought up the fact that the veil I originally bought went with the original dress and did not even match the new dress. The original dress was ivory with copper and bronze stitches with ivory pearls on it. The new dress has white iridescent beads all over the top of it. There fix for this was to give me 2 bags of white iridescent beads and told my bridesmaid to hot glue them on so it would blend in better. I was so furious at this point I just wanted to leave before I started screaming and ended up doing something I would later regret.

I did not feel I was going to get any satisfaction directly from the store. I called the Head Corporate office for David’s Bridal the very next business day and I left messages with 3-5 different representatives and not one called me back. I called back in tears at 4:50 when no one had called me back and finally got the chance to speak with someone. I thought for sure they would resolve my problem and make things right. That was furthest from the truth. I spoke with a Customer Service Representative there and was basically told that this is my side of the story and she needed to call the store and get back to me. I called the next day and she verified my story was correct and asked me what I wanted to make things right. I tried to explain to her that nothing could make this right. Dresses are paid for, bouquets were made, and tuxes are rented for the color scheme of the first dress.

After thinking it over I decided I wanted a full refund of my alterations from the original dress and half the money back from the cost of the dress and my accessories and a new head piece that would at least match the dress I have to wear on my wedding day. I felt that half of my money back was more then fair for the stress and position they put me in. Most of the people I discussed this with felt that I should get a free dress and all of my money back for the alterations. I did not feel it was right to receive a free dress and I was trying to be fair about the whole situation. When she called me back a few hours later and told me they were only going refund me the cost of the alterations, the cost of a bra that had to purchased to go along with the new dress and 50.00 towards a new veil. I could not believe it. I asked her what am I supposed to do now that nothing matches? Her reply to me was that I was getting a better deal because this new dress is 100.00 more than the original one. I told her I could care less if it was 1000.00 more that it was NOT the dress I waned and emphasized again that nothing is going to match this dress. I told her how upset I have been because of this. I have not been able to sleep at night. My stomach is in knots and my nerves have had it. All of which she had no reply to.

Obviously my satisfaction is not worth much to them. If my satisfaction is not worth anything to them just imagine how much YOUR satisfaction is worth as well. Brides to be Do NOT be fooled by the name David’s Bridal they are not the professionals you may think they are.

Sorry to hear about your story. I have heard other complaints on the news where I live concerning davids bridal and how crappy they really are.

Hey....if I were you...... I`d go to the media (news) with it...tell them your story and tell them that all you want is your origional dress that you paid for and how this has turned your dream day into a living hell. I guarentee you will get a much quicker and satisfying response... The stories I saw on tv were handled quite quickly...... Davids bridal (along with any other business) didnt want to be portraied as eval bastards from the media

..Good luck with your wedding.

Let us know how it goes.
Posted by Kryssie; updated 06/12/03

I don`t get you... If you got a new dress, then why wouldn`t you expect to have to match it with all new attire?? AND, I have NEVER had a bad experience with David`s Bridal. I have gone there with my sister-in-law for her wedding they were nothing but nice and very helpful. I am now going there for my wedding and have received the best care one could get for my wedding.
I think you are an old bitty and should shove it... YOu got what you deserved
Posted by liz; updated 06/13/03

Everyone should know that David`s Bridal is equivalent to Bridal K-Mart. Don`t get me wrong, I shop at Kmart, but I don`t expect good customer service, and I`m not suprised when the things I buy are junk and fall apart. You always get what you pay for in this world, and David`s is no different. I`m sorry it turned out so bad.
Posted by Heather; updated 06/14/03

I also think that since David`s is a chain that you get different service in different places. I am not sure of where the first poster is from but I had an excellent experience with David`s in Jacksonville FL. If you are thinking about going to David`s to get a dress your best option is to post here or on your local board on www.theknot.com to hear reviews of the David`s in your area.

I hope that your wedding day is perfect & remember that in the long run it is not about the dress, it is about the marriage that you are starting! Best of luck with the rest of your planning & your day!
Posted by Leah; updated 06/14/03

I am sooooo sorry you have to be put through all this bs. I thank you for your information. Now, I will never visit David`s Bridal.
Posted by Pa bride to be; updated 06/14/03

Dear Maria, don`t panic, you will be the Queen at your wedding no matter what dress you are in. The people attending are doing so because they love you. And after all, only you know this isn`t the orginal dress you picked out, everyone else will just ooh and ahh over the bride. Don`t let this bad, and it is very bad, experience ruin the rest of your pre-wedding time, maybe the florist can add ribbon or something to make the decorations match better. Show her a picture of the new dress.....talk to the tuxedo shop maybe they can still make changes! Good luck!
Posted by jenna; updated 06/17/03

That is the saddest story i have ever heard i hope you can make the best of your wedding day
Posted by Christina; updated 06/18/03

To All Grooms:

Plead with your bride not to cast an economic vote for David`s Bridal by purchasing any commodities from them. My fiance recently visited a shop in Aurora, Illinois, and was treated in an extremely unprofessional manner. She was made to feel inferior and "beneath" the sales staff of the store. I am currently trying to contact the parent company (however, I can`t find an address) and the local Better Business Bureau. Given the manner in which they treat customers, they are not a company to be endorsed by anyone.
Posted by Joseph Malm; updated 06/19/03

First of all, it is an obvious fact that David`s is the "Bridal K-Mart".

Secondly, the only "bitty" around here is YOU, Liz, you selfish, self-centered sorry excuse for a human being. Get the stick out of your ass.

Thirdly, be aware that David`s Bridal sells your personal information to third parties. Not such a big deal, until one of these third parties calls your home and claims that you have won a trip to the Bahamas. Within a week you will find it a huge scam through Security Travel USA or some other such place. They told me I would have to pay nearly $400 for a "free" trip to the Bahamas that I "won" by just visiting a David`s Bridal shop one time to look around.

David`s Bridal is the place to go when you get engaged and immediately decide to marry as soon as you can get the first flight to Vegas. Their dresses are ugly, the reps do not listen to you when you tell them what style you want and pick out dresses they want to sell you. The quality of ALL of the merchandise is shoddy.

By the way, I base my opinion on many experiences with David`s Bridal in different areas of the state.
Posted by Chris; updated 06/21/03

Since David`s IS a chain, their corporate office should have found your original dress in a size that would fit you with little alteration...or another ivory dress that was similar. With as many shops as they have, there should have been absolutely no problem in locating a suitable substitute to the botched dress. A choice of 3 was an insult! And I must say the only David`s I`ve ever been to was friendly and helpful but just didnt have what we were looking for, so I have no idea what their service after sale would be like. Depending upon what you paid you may have grounds for a small claims suit against them which I would investigate before talking to the media to give you one more piece of ammunition to drop in the interview with the station. Don`t accept this shoddy treatment, at no time should you be browbeaten to accept a poor substitute when all this bridal paraphenalia is priced at 10X its value in the first place.

And liz whoever you are, try to gain some perspective in interpersonal relationships....no one treated in this fashion by a so-called business venture deserves to be treated like she is trying to "steal" something she has already purchased.
Posted by KAZ; updated 06/21/03

Just to add to the comments on Davids Inc...
All I want to say at this time is....what a nightmare!! RUDE, rude staff. The STAFF needs to learn some hospitality and manners! The "rules" and the policies for dress alterations, discounts on the bridal party, the maids dresses, everything kept changing. We had to call Davids Bridal headquarters on two seperate occassions. Without going into details.........Davids was a nightmare. The dresses were cheap, the threads were hanging, the peals where falling off, and the experience was dreadful.....
Posted by CH; updated 06/26/03

For my daughter`s wedding, our experience with David`s bridal, was we ordered a tira, paid cash (first mistake, should have used a credit card). When it came in 6 weeks later, it was ugly, so we wanted a refund. They mailed us a check 6 weeks later, however they told me if we had taken it out of the store, then we would not have gotten a refund. I said we are not getting your dress from Davids. I agree, the material and workmanship is shoddy. We ordered her dress from the House of Brides in Chicago, even though we live in Mpls, and love it. It was almost half of what other stores were quoting us and faster. She had it made 6 inches shorter so we did not have to alter it. Impression brand. They carry all the big names.
Posted by wee one; updated 06/30/03

I agree, BEWARE OF DAVID`S BRIDAL! My experience with them has been dreadful. I ordered and paid for my dress on December 1st 2002. My wedding is in October 2003. I figured I was well ahead of things. I still do not have my dress and will not have it until September because they are incompetent. The first dress came in on time - 12 weeks. However, there was a huge melted spot on the front of the skirt. Thankfully, I had enough time to do an exchange. The second dress came in on June 8th. I scheduled a fitting for the same day I was going to pick it up. I lugged my shoes, slip, bra, etc into the store. When the consultant came out of the back with my dress, she was holding it crumpled up next to her body and she was dragging it on the floor. She was asking me "Do you want to buy a bag for this?" They can`t even give you a freaking bag? No, I didn`t want to buy a bag for it, because IT WAS THE WRONG COLOR!!!! I was so upset. I can`t believe they screwed it up again! The consultant did not believe me when I told her it was wrong. I think I know what I ordered and not to mention PAID FOR! The assistant manager came over and looked at the paperwork and verified, yes, they ordered the wrong color. She said that she would contact her district manager and would have to get back to me in 2 days because she was off for the next 2 days. They messed up my wedding dress twice and now she wants me to wait 2 more days!!!! I was so upset, I left in tears. The very next morning I called them as soon as they opened and spoke to another assistant manager. She advised me the store manager will be in at 2pm and said she would let her know about the situation and she would have her call me back. I gave her my number at work and advised her I would be available until 4pm and gave her my home number for the evening. Big surprise, 4pm came and went and I had not received a call back. I forwarded my work phone to my cell phone so I would not miss the call when it came. At 4:15 the manager called me. It seemed pretty obvious she was hoping to miss me when I answered my phone. She gave me the option of looking for a different dress and also advised me it would take ANOTHER 12 WEEKS for my dress to come in. Still, there is no guarantee this one is going to be correct. I did not find another dress I wanted. They were to see if they could expedite my order. Their method of expediting is simply e-mailing the buyers. I guess they cannot use the telephone. I stopped by in person a couple of times and made several phone calls to check on the status of things. Each time I checked, I would get excuse after excuse -- they are still waiting on a reply, blah, blah, blah. The last time I stopped in, they were obviously getting annoyed with me and I was told by the assistant manager "they will call me" when they hear something. She even printed out the string of 3 e-mails to show me they were "working on it." In their URGENT e-mails to the buyers they only mentioned they ordered the wrong color. They did not mention anything about the first dress being melted. They did not put much effort into expediting anything for me. Last Friday, I received a phone call at 7:30AM from the store manager. When I answered, she hung up on me. Apparently, she was hoping I was not at work that early to get her call. About a half an hour later she called again and told me they received a response and there was absolutely no way my dress will be in sooner than Sept 3rd. She asked me what she could do to help appease the situation. I already have all of my undergarments and accessories. So, I asked for some of my money back. I paid close to $600 for my dress. She put me on hold and when she came back she offered me a whopping $50 credit. What a joke!!! I feel I should get at least 1/2 of my money back and I told her that. She then upped her offer to $80 and threw in a free dress preservation kit. I asked her if I could get my alterations for free. She said no because that department is separate from the storefront. So what! It is all part of David`s Bridal, isn`t it? They have put me in a horrible position. I have purchased all of the accessories to coordinate with that particular dress. The bridesmaids’ dresses have been ordered - from a different salon - THANK GOODNESS!- and they coordinate with that dress. Not to mention all of the added stress they have given me, and the best they can do is an $80 credit. DO NOT PATRONIZE DAVID`S BRIDAL UNLESS YOU LIKE TO BE AGGREVATED AND STRESSED OUT!
Posted by Karen; updated 07/01/03

I guess I was pretty lucky! Although, I tried on my dress bought it AS IS! I absolutely love it! I hope all is not ruined because of the your bad-dress-situation and you can enjoy your special day anyway!
Posted by Stephanie; updated 07/01/03

Liz, who are you? and what is your problem? Do you work for David`s?... You must because that attitude sounds like the Customer Service Rep`s that Maria had to deal with!!! Let`s hope YOU get what you deserve!!!!

Maria, very sorry to hear about your awful experience. I can only wish you and your hubby all the best and hopefully your dress situation works out.
Posted by Carol; updated 07/01/03

I am just getting ready to look around for dresses, and I WAS gonna look at David`s Bridal...now I know not to. Sorry to those who had a bad experience with them...and thanks for letting people know about it. You really gave me some useful information.
Posted by Shawna; updated 07/02/03

For those of you that are dying to know who "Liz" is, I have your answer. She is a bridal shop owner from Pennsylvania. Her REAL name is Sharon. I DO know her last name, and what store she owns, but I`ll save that for another day.

LIZ is pissed off because people come into her store and try on her high priced gowns, then they find one within their budget somewhere else. When this somewhere else happens to be David`s, she gets a real stick up her ass.

LIZ is also known to several other message boards, where she calls herself "Liz", "Denise", or "Sharon". These are all the same person, and her real name is SHARON.

Once in awhile, she posts on here under her real name, offering gowns for sale. My advice: DON`T DEAL WITH HER AT ALL. SHE`S A FRUITCAKE. NUTTIER THAN A PEANUT BUSTER PARFAIT.

WARNING: LIZ SHARON DENISE NEEDS MEDICATION PRONTO!

PS The only old bitty around here is you, Sharon H. Aka "Liz".

And Maria, I would notify your local TV station, and while you`re at it, bypass David`s head office completely and call their REAL headquarters: The May Department Store Corp.
Posted by Fed up with LIZ; updated 07/05/03

I am sorry to all the ladies who had bad experiences at David`s Bridal. I am purchasing my dress from Belles-Beaus but, I was going to get my bridal party dresses from David`s Bridal. Thanks for the heads up. I will stay far away from there as possible.
Posted by Felicia; updated 07/07/03

Definitey beware of David`s bridal! I am so sorry to hear that some of you girls have had such a terrible experience with what is suppose to be the most fun!!

I am lucky to have recognized the terrible customer service upon my first visit and vowed never to go back. I wish I had read this message chain before wasting my Sunday afternoon.

I went into a David`s store with my single friend (who posed as an engaged woman so she could have fun trying on the dresses with me) and they treated her SO much better than me.

I found only 2 dresses to try on but everything was going smoothly at first with the sales rep. She took the dresses to a room while I continued to look. However, when the time came for me to try the dresses on, my girl was nowhere to be found. I had to get into the dresses by myself (which is very difficult in their 5`x5` cubes they call dressing rooms) and wander all over the store to find a sales rep. To zip them up. Meanwhile, my single friend had a sales rep. Helping her with veils and shoes and accessories.

I was so disappointed in everything - the service, the selection, and the gown quality. You definitely get what you pay for - not a whole lot.

A David`s bridal rep. Called me the following week to "see how my plans were coming" and I told her the story. I said flat-out that my sales rep. Ignored me and my single friend was getting one-on-one attention. She seemed pretty offended and then it hit me that the lady on the phone WAS my sales rep.

Oh well...maybe she`ll be better for the next bride that comes in. I never plan to set foot in another David`s Bridal, and I would definitely recommend to go to a more personal bridal shop. You usually (not always!) pay more for the gown, but the peace of mind and restful nights are DEFINITELY worth the extra money.
Posted by Jen; updated 07/07/03

Agree, I recently had a really terrible experience with David`s Bridal in Natick, MA. The staff pratically made false promises, like free cleaning/change of size, et al. To get me into buying the gown and then refused to take any credibility of their words. The manager was really rude as well, with the attitude like "we tricked you, so what?".
Posted by jj; updated 07/14/03

Heed this message! It is lengthy, but you need to read it! I have never been treated so poorly in my life, and I don`t understand how David`s Bridal is still in business. I am a plus-sized person, and I was a bridesmaid in my friend`s wedding. She chose David`s because they offered plus-sizes and because it was "affordable", despite protests from friends and from her own mother, a seamstress who knows a thing or two about bridal dresses. I purchased my bridesmaid`s dress in October at the Toledo, OH location (we are about 60 miles south of Detroit) (the wedding was the following June), and I was not even measured, let alone offered a dress to try on!! I was asked "What`s your dress size?" Having never been in a wedding, I had no idea what to ask for or what to expect. I was right at the top of the sizes offered, and I asked about obtaining extra fabric, just in case. I was told "Oh, don`t buy it now. Buy it when your dress comes in." I said that I was sure I would probably need some, but was pretty much refused. TRUSTING them, I paid my money and waited until I heard our dresses came in. (The order wasn`t placed for all of our dresses until December, but that was another problem). I tried on my dress when we received them in late February, and it didn`t even zip up. I called David`s to order more fabric, and was told that the dress was DISCONTINUED (it was last season`s dress) and there was no fabric available to them. I was faced with losing 20 lbs (which I know I should have been working on since I was asked to be in the wedding, but you can`t change the past) or to back out of the wedding, which would have been embarrassing and rude -- "Gee, I can`t be in your wedding; I`m too fat." So, I told the store manager my situation, and she treated me like I had just ran her kid over with my car -- I am not exaggerating. She basically said "Well, dreses get discontinued, what can I do?" I was not rude to her, just firm in my disappointment with my situation (I work with the public, and I was determined to not stoop to their level!) I was given the phone number for their "Customer Service" department, and a direct line to their fabric person. There was a bolt of fabric for my dress out there and I was going to find it, with or without David`s Bridal`s help. I left her 3 messages and never heard back. I was faced with a month-long search for matching fabric, going to bridal shops and fabric stores looking for a match, then looking for something resembling the dress. I almost bought a dress off of eBay that was almost the same style -- these were desperate times! I ordered a 2-yard piece from David`s from another style of dress (which I had very little help from the store to try and find, much less an apology) for $25, of which I needed about 8-12 inches of for the bodice of the dress. Luckily, the helpful staff at Hancock Fabrics special ordered some fabric that was very close to the rest of my dress. We went through books and books of fabric swatches and finally found a close match, and I ordered fabric for a nominal price. I cannot say enough good thing about Hancock Fabrics! Back to the dress situation -- we finally got the dress fitting the way it should (and no, I did NOT trust those butchers at David`s to alter my dress -- the Mother of the Bride did it for me) after I had spent $70 extra dollars fixing what David`s screwed up. I am so glad I clicked on this site, since the David`s Bridal website had NO corporate address listed, nor can I find it published ANYWHERE (I think Area 51 is easier to find!). Whoever posted the address, I thank you very much. I still cannot believe they made me PAY for the fabric after they had screwed me over in the first place, and I am about to send them my receipts from the other fabric I had to buy. I cannot believe their insensitivity to someone in my situation, and their inability to fix a situation. Obviously, customer service is not a priority to them ,and they cannot identify a problem if it hit them in the face. I am writing them a nasty letter after I get done with this, and rest assured, if I am asked to be in another wedding, and I find out that the bride has chosen David`s Bridal to provide dresses, I will politely but firmly back out. I know that this is not localized to Northwest Ohio -- I have heard horror stories from the Cincinnati and Los Angeles locations as well, with many more locations and stories saying the same message -- DAVID`S BRIDAL IS BAD BAD BAD!!!
I will say, that the dress looked OK for being almost entirely reconstructed and it did fit fine. The wedding went off fine, and we only now have told the bride of my horrific situation with David`s Bridal (I wasn`t about to spring this on her before the wedding!) I hope that word of mouth spreads and something is done about this!
Posted by Molly; updated 07/14/03

The consultants are VERY rude. I went in as a "walk-in" because I live so far away from the nearest David`s and I just wanted to look at their clearance $99 dresses. Well the lady helping me was a complete bitch.. She didn`t want me to buy the $99 dress and even told me it look bad on me and it wasn`t big enough!! They`re all rude there and I almost regret giving her the commission, not that it was much off $100 haha. I wanted an inexpensive simple dress and David`s Bridal had it. But they can take their sales staff and shove them off a cliff. They were all old witches (did I mention I didn`t see a wedding ring on one of them? haha bitter old witches).
Posted by Jenny; updated 07/24/03

Your right! I, too, took my complaints to the Better Business Bureau. It`s the only way to get ANYONE`s attention. I strongly urge those of you with sincere and valid complaints regarding customer service, etc. To contact your area BBB. If you go to BBB online, it will point you to the specific bureau in your area. You can even email your complaint. They will contact you to discuss the complaint more thoroughly. No business wants the BBB making them look bad - it`s the consumer`s and businesses` first line in communication and resolving issues rather than getting frustrated with some minimum-wage-making tool.
Posted by Chris; updated 07/25/03

I have heard a lot of stories from David`s bridals, Ct.NY and NJ, It`s true that most of their sales people are rude,
I`ve been there but never bought anything, (quality)I`m a seamstress and have had to realter what they have already done and always charge exsorbitant prices almost as much as the dress itself. My solution is when you have this problem don`t fix the gown, take them to court bring your dress as is and you will win. Go for your gown to a small personal shop where you will get one on one attention, and ask id alterations are included they should be, it will cost you a little more but in the long run it will cost you less plus it will be stress free. I work in a bridal Shop and love it, I want to make the process of buying your wedding gown enjoyable and stress free. If you don`t get treated right don`t buy there. Sales people should be personable not rude. I hope all brides out there take heed of Maria`s experience and go somewhere else. Maria good luck and you will look beautiful on your wedding day because all brides do.
Posted by maria; updated 07/30/03

Here is the letter I am trying to get to them, but can not find an email, if you have one, pass it along....

I want to write this and tell you about the terrible service my fiancée and
I received at your store in Milpitas. We booked an appointment to come at 3
O`clock to try on dresses, and were greeted by a young women at the front
Desk who was just hanging up the phone, made a snotty face and said to the
Phone, "why don`t you call someone who cares".

We then waited nearly an hour for our appointment consultant. During which
I asked if they were always this busy. I was then told by more than one
Employee that indeed it was a slow day, and they thought the store was
Empty. I asked myself, why then had it already been 30 minutes and no
Consultant.

We were finally helped, and the consultant went right into the, "we sell off
The rack, we do not order", speech. She did not ask us any questions like,
Where are we getting married, when are we getting married, have looked at
Any styles, etc...We had looked at some stuff on the net, so we had some
Style numbers to look at, but the consultant did not try to show us other
Items, nor did she take the time to tell us about any of the dresses we had
Chosen. As soon as we got to the dressing room, she turned us over to a
Trainee, and said she was going on break. The trainee tried very hard, and
For that I was thankful, but having only been there 4 days, she was not a
Ton of help.

I must say, the customer service was poor. The dresses were being dragged
From the rack to the dressing rooms (some in plastic, some not), and our
Consultant had nothing to say about the dresses or how they fit. 3 of the
Dresses we picked had holes, the seams were not finished and had threads
Everywhere, and many dresses were missing beads. I felt like I was in a
Flea market to tell the truth. I compared what I had seen there at other
Bridal shops and dresses, and I must say that what you charge is out of
Line. I could see paying it if the service was great and our consultant
Actually consulted us on dresses, steaming, and other bride related issues,
But non of that was done.

To sum up, I run a business and I am in sales myself. I would be furious if
My employees treated my customers and products the way yours did. I went to
Your web site to find a place to email this, but nothing was listed. So, I
Hope this gets into the right hands. I am not looking for anything, but my
Company thrives on customer feedback, that is the way we grow. So when ever
I have something to say to another company, I do them the courtesy, good or
Bad, of letting them know.
Posted by Dave; updated 08/01/03

My bad experience happened at the David`s Bridal happened in Milpitas, CA.

All I have to say is ghetto! I had read a few reviews regarding David`s so I knew before I went to try on dresses not to get my hopes up. But I was truly not prepared for the horriable customer service and poor dress quality. There were stains on the floor the shop even smelled bad! None of the staff seemed to care about their job and my consultant went on break during my appoinment! Nothing I tried there even fit. Even in my so-called size!

Because I live in a small city I drove about hour and a half just to try on some dresses to get an idea of what I wanted for my wedding. I now know I do not want anything from David`s Bridal.

On a better note try Jessica McClintock, her designs rock and are so affordable. Every bride should feel excited during dress shopping not depressed, stressed out or disgusted! Down with Davids!
Posted by Tricia; updated 08/01/03

Dave,

I don`t have a customer service e-mail address, however I got a survey from them the other day to snail-mail back to them (guess what I`m going to tell them ...)

Anyway, for you and anyone else who has problems, here is the address:

David`s Bridal
1001 Washington St.
Conshohocken, PA 19428-9894

Also try to pass it on to their parent company, the May company. I don`t have an address, ut if anyone else does, I`d appreciate it, as well.
Posted by Cheresa; updated 08/01/03

Whateva! I do what I want!
I hope Liz gets dissed on her next wedding dress experience after she tries to cancel her Direct TV from her trailer after her husband kicks her ass out on the front carport where she decides to go lez`, meets her next trick that asks her to marry her, but she is really a he. I also hope that Maria happens to "bump" into Liz as she is walking out of Daivid`s bridal with her new dress and that Maria was drinking a Venti carmel machiatto with no foam, no room for cream, held by one of those slippy sleavy things and no lid so that the cup would fly out of her hand, spilling all over her dress, so she coordinate that new bronze-carmel color.
Maria rules, David`s bridal is kick a blue light special, and the House of brides rocks Chicago.
Posted by georgevargas; updated 08/01/03

Please send your complaints by snail mail as well! Email will not get the same attention. Also, you MUSTcontact the BBB!!! Remember ladies - it is so true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Here`s the addresses where I got everyone`s attention at David`s Bridal:

Privacy@davidsbridal.net, remove@davidsbridal.net
(it will get someone`s attention if you email anyone and everyone you can find @ David`s)

As for snail mail: I simply went to the Department of State (of Florida), Division of Corporations, and looked up David`s Bridal. This site will give you the principal business address and officer and registered agent names and addreses. (This site is a wealth of information when you want to know more about a company, or if you have a complaint about one) I forwarded my complaints (attention: to the particular person, marked personal and confidential, and sent via certified mail) to the company`s main business address (1001 WASHINGTON STREET, CONSHOHOCKEN PA 19428); to the president/CEO (HUTH, ROBERT D: 611 OLIVE STREET, SAINT LOUIS MO 63101); SR VP (FROST, ROBERT W JR: 611 OLIVE STREET, SAINT LOUIS MO 63101); and the VP of the West Palm Beach store (KNIFFEN, JAN R: 611 OLIVE STREET, SAINT LOUIS MO 63101).

It`s easy enough to copy your letter a few times and a stamp only costs 34 cents.

My issues were resolved to my satisfaction within TWO DAYS using these methods.

Hope this helps!
Posted by Chris; updated 08/02/03

Actually stamps are 37 cents but its still not much when you`re talking several hundred dollars of mistakes.
Posted by KAZ; updated 08/02/03

Thank you all so much for your information. I found a dress at David`s that I absolutely love. (Oleg Cassini) I started looking into these websites before I ordered the dress. I saw only 1 good comment on the David`s in Jacksonville. Has anyone else had any good/bad experience with them? I asked the "consultant" if they have any complaints....she actually started laughing and stated "I lose track of the number of complaints we have on a daily basis." I am glad I walked away with my $800+. Does ANYONE know how I can find Oleg Cassini dresses somewhere else??
Thanks in advance
Robin
Posted by robin; updated 08/04/03

Oleg Cassini are a David`s exclusive. But I would bet there is something very similar out there by another designer. If you say which OC you were looking at someone here may be able to help you find your new "dream dress"
Posted by KAZ; updated 08/04/03

Thanks KAZ. Here are the details.
The dress is located in the Oleg Cassini section of davidsbridal.com It is the first dress on page 3. It is listed as Style K2000. This is the rose color and I am searching for the white. I believe the style# for the white gown is either K3000 or K300. Here are the details on the tag I pulled from David`s:

Class/Style 14040021
STK 3000 (white)
Size 6
DIMK30
VEN298

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Robin
Posted by robin; updated 08/04/03

OK Robin in about 15 min of looking I found similar dresses by Alex Hanson, Forever Yours, Zurc and Impression Bridals. Prices range from $360-$800. I`m sure there are dozens more just aching for you to try them on! I suggest a trip to a reputable salon in a largish city and have a wonderful time finding the dress of your dreams. Feel free to email me if you want specific websites.
Posted by KAZ; updated 08/04/03

I wish I had found this site BEFORE going to David`s Bridals and being personally insulted and offended! I went in with my 2 year old daughter (after work and I had picked her up from daycare). I told the sales rep assigned to me that since I had a child, I was in my mid-30`s, and I didn`t feel it was appropriate to wear a formal, frilly, or white gown and I was looking for something informal and with no train. I was immediately directed to the bridesmaid dresses. Ok, I thought, I`ll go with this idea. Unfortunately, there wasn`t anything that I really liked in an ivory or champagne color. The sales woman began to pull out formal, frilly and white gowns for me. I again, informed her that I just didn`t feel comfortable with them and that wasn`t what I was looking for. Didn`t they have an informal, destination, or 2nd wedding type of section? As she walked out of the dressing room (to get me more dresses), I heard her say to another sales rep, "well isn`t it a little late to be getting married now? I mean she has the kid with her". Not only was I highly insulted, but I really don`t think it was necessary for my daughter to have heard such a comment!

I promptly picked my daughter up, walked out and will never return!

I did find a beautiful gown for me, and one for my daughter, at a lovely bridal shop called Chrissanne Bridals. I highly recommend boutique shopping ladies, "you get what you pay for".
Posted by ljb; updated 08/05/03

KAZ,
Thanks so much for your help. I found the sites and you are right!! SO many beautiful dresses...so little time. Thanks again for all your help. :-)
Robin
Posted by robin; updated 08/05/03

I was not impresed with Davis! I`m a plus size, my HUsband and I decided to re-new our vows on our 20th anniversary, because we only got married in City hall on our first wedding, we decided that we were going to this one a "real one", so my bridesmaids and I droved 2 Hrs to get to Davis Bridal, when we got there, I was told to look throu the dresses, we look for all the styles that I had in mind first, of course they have none, the sales woman came and helped us only because my friend got really upset, we choose to try some of the dresses, and we were told that they can order the dress that I choose from another store for $50.00 more, that they could not tell us how long it will take, but because they did not have my size and they have to get it from another store, if I the dress did not fit or I did not like I will lose my money anyway. We left really mad, and we decided to go to a different stores, in the end, I bught my dress in E-bay, my dress only cost 1/3 of the prize, was brand new, it is gorgeaus, and I felt like Cincerella.... Please do not go to Davis, all you going to get is aggrevasion, and all the brides are stress enough, try E-bay, it is not for everyone, but you may find the dress of your dreams like I do.
Good Luck Maria, and do not care what enyone said about you, you will be the Bell of the Ball!!
Posted by Reme; updated 08/07/03

HUH?!?

Can anyone decipher that for me?
Posted by Chris; updated 08/08/03

Wow, i wish i knew about how bad Davids bridal was 3 years ago. I also had a horrible time with my wedding gown and most of all my bridesmaid dresses. The manager was nasty and basically didnt car about the mistakes they had made with regular and special orders. I actually had to change the color of my wedding 3 times. So if u live in Brooklyn, NY I strongly advise you not to go to Davids Bridal, it`s not worth the mental anguish!!!!!
Posted by Damaris; updated 08/14/03

Seems the Big Apple David;s Bridal is bad news. We had pretty good luck with the one in the Big Orange-Newport Beach, CA. Except for the awful thing about the bridemaid dresses being so late and my Mom and I taking mine apart and resewing everything, Recenty they did send me a coupon for $100.0 off on my next dress-Bride, bridesmaid even cocktail dresses. I will give it to my niece for her prom dress. My being a bride (Dec 31, 2003) is a custom 12th Century style gown, as an ancient bride I am having a very differennt dress, by ancient I mean I am old for a first time bride---like 46! Good Luck to the other brides, it is a frightening experience to have to "TRUST" anyone to do it right
Posted by LORA; updated 08/14/03

Here is some help for everyone and especially -Cheresa
Looking for corporate office of May Company...It is Famous-Barr, located in St. Louis, MO. This is knowledge from my being ages ago their insurance adjuster.
Poor Maria, your story and the Air National Grard gal`s story makes a person want to go in there with a Machine Gun. My recent experience (I am the old first time bride age 46) was very telling- I went with a college friend of mine to help her daughter. We climbed out of my new Jaguar, me with a 5 carat engagement ring and were almost carried into the store (South Coast Plaza- Near Newport Beach, CA.) butter would not melt in the salespeople`s mouth, dresses looked like they were brown with dirt. The bridge who jokingly calls me "Auntie Mame" was about to cry- Money to the rescue, I took her to Barbara`s Bridalin Costa Mesa, CA. And said sure the dress is $65.00 more-so I would have bought you a personal shower gift nightie for that and more so Barbara`s took the deposit ($65 on the Visa)-Ordered the dress, altered it , cleaned it and put it into the super blue bag all in ess than 3 months even though the veil was the problem, it took the 2 months) Everyting was perfect- Happy day. When the bride`s mama had me call to check on the beads for the veil (Barbara offered but I said hey you have 6 weddings this month I will do it) the veil people knowing I was calling for Barbara said- No one crossess Barbara, she lives to sue, get the manufacturer on TV, whatever. By the by, the dress price included the alteratrions so long story made long the dress turned out cheaper in actual price than any rag at David`s Bridal. The wedding Day is so very special and to have it ruined by these "Vandals, Huns etc is just too much", the David`s Bridal folks still try to get me back in there for the bridesmaid dresses. Guess who I went to "Barbara`s", small privately owned shop wherein no bride has a final anything without "Barbara" checking everything out, she is a warrior-I call her Xena Bridal consultant. She has very inexpensive right up thru Vera Wang`s $7,000 wedding dresses. Ladies look around go t o severa shops, talk to the Better Business Group- just be prepared. Oh the share of the name by David`s- they did give my name out, always looking for a kickback on music, flowers, reception hall, even that screwie winning of the free trip (I am a Real Estate Broker and know THAT SCAM)
Posted by LORA; updated 08/14/03

"Liz" should just shut up and get over herself. This story was very sad and we should be supportive. I agree with the other people who said you should take it to the media.
Posted by Cindy; updated 08/14/03

Kaz, I too fell in love with an Oleg Cassini dress style#JP303. It`s a very simple ball gown which I would think I could find similar elsewhere but have been unable to. Any help would be appreciated. I have to admit I am very sceptical of David`s now. Has anyone had any experience with the store in Grand Rapids, Michigan? Thanks.
Posted by JG; updated 08/15/03

***JG***

Forever Yours(43126) and Moonlight(TG9181) both have a very similar dress. Signature Designs (1162)and Maggie Sottero(Giorgio) also have dresses in the same style with a little more on the bodice. Mary`s has 2 similar styles. SO17116 and SO17123 in their Couture collection 16 is simpler than 23. Again I`m sure there are more out there, thats what I found browsing through the sites I have on favorites.

Good luck in finding the "dream dress" :)
Posted by KAZ; updated 08/15/03

In response to JG`s post,
"Has anyone had any experience with the store in Grand Rapids, Michigan?"

I wanted to let you know that my brother is getting married and the girls all purchased their dresses from David`s Bridal in G.R., or shall I say ordered? The dresses were ordered well over 3 months ago (the wedding is in September) with the promise of them being in in 3 weeks and they just came in yesterday. 2 of the girls dresses do not fit at all and big surprise they are not too big, they are too small! When they took the measurements, they ordered one dress size larger than measurements called for (Supposedly). Now an even bigger surprise, they are refusing to do the alterations so we must now find someone to do them and pray these dresses can even be altered in time. One dress needs about 6 inches removed in the bust and inserted into the waist and hip area. If this can not be done, I guess we`re up the you know what without a paddle.

The bride is about ready to go out of her mind but what`s worse is the two girls whose dresses don`t fit at all. I know for a fact they feel horribly embarassed by the whole ordeal.

I do NOT recommend them at all.
Posted by Lynnden; updated 08/16/03

Im just curious, has any one tried suing Davids Bridal. I had the same thing done with the bridesmaids gowns. I had a total of 4 bridesmaids, 2 of my girls bought the dress with no problem, and the other two had to order their gowns. When the gowns came in, the girls noticed that it had snags in them. They actually delivered them destroyed. I couldnt believe it. When I went to the shop to straighten everything out the manager told me I was not supposed to order those dresses because they were prom dresses and that we needed to change everything because it was a discontinued dress. I had asked the manager to give my girls their money back (because i wanted to return all the gowns) and she refused, She didnt even offer a dicount on what was their mistake.
Posted by Damaris; updated 08/17/03

My personal opinion is that there is enough bad press about the place that a class action suit could probably be pursued. I am a criminal justice student and from what I can tell, all of us together have enough ammunition for a court. Althouh I finally got my refund (barely a week before the wedding) it still really screwed up my budget.
Posted by Cheresa; updated 08/18/03