La Quinceanera

My son has just been invited to a La Quinceanera. I have never heard of it. Your site is the only one that has mention of it. I have gathered that it is a 15th birthday party but the invitation and reply are like wedding invitations. It says it includes dinner and dancing. It is an hour away from us. His name is the only one on the invitation. Could someone explain to me what this is and the protocol for answering back. Does it include our family or just our 15 year old son? What is the traditional present to give and if monetary, how much? What can he expect at this party? What is the proper attire? Please help me as I know NOTHING about this tradition and cannot find anything about it. Thank you for your time.
Posted by Elaine; updated 06/10/03

It is not called La Quinceanera. It is A quinceanera. It is a tradition celebrating a young woman turning 15 and going into womanhood. Another way to think of it is a Sweet 16 party. The quinceanera (person turning 15) will attend a mass along with her family and friends and then all her guests will gather at a place and celebrate. It is usually a her house, a banquet hall, or someplace big. They have a traditional vals (waltz) in which the quinceanera dances with her chambelanes and damas. Then, its eating and dancing for the rest of the night. I think that your son should wear something semi-formal. Nothing sloppy or too casual. Girls usually wear nice dresses, so I wouldn`t say no to a suit or something. A tux would be overdoing it however. (its all up to your son) Anyway, if you know the family, then I don`t think it would be bad if you attended the quinceanera along with your son. If not, then just drop your son off, and greet the quinceanera. For a present, I think you should get her something nice..think of something you would get a girl of her age for her birthday party. Because in simple terms..thats what it is. If you have anymore questions, e-mail me @ cutelilshorty1689@yahoo.com or send me an IM on AIM @ ShawtySccrPlaya. I myself will be having my quinceanera this December so I would be glad to help out. Hope I helped.
Posted by Stephanie; updated 06/11/03