Wishing Well Invitations

How do I word a wedding invitation to let guests know that there will be a wishing well instead of a gift list?
Posted by Medi; updated 06/05/03

You don`t ever put mention of gifts in any form on the invitation.
Posted by Valerie; updated 06/05/03

We`re putting on our invitations (right at the bottom)
"Your presence is the best gift you can give. If you feel the need to give a gift a wishing well will be available at the reception". Hope that helps and you know what? those who know you will spread the word. Good luck and congradulations!
Posted by Chris; updated 10/30/03

No no no....Valerie is correct one should never mention gifts or money in an invitation.
Posted by Meredith; updated 12/05/03

AGREED....you can never request any type of wedding gift....especially money!!! TACKY~ TACKY~ TACKY
Posted by Bethy; updated 12/07/03

I`d also like to add that "Invitations Illustrated" is obviously not a very knowledgable vendor on this site. It is not proper etiquette to any sort of gift (especially gifts of money) on an invitation. I find it appalling that a vendor who should know the business would recommend "Simply put "Monetary gifts preferred" in small print into the left or right corner of your invitation." Invitations Illustrated should read up on proper eqiquette if they want to stay in the bridal business. I would never use this vendor as they obviously have no class.

Apparently Invitations Illustrated does not care if their customers look rude and presumptous.
Posted by Meredith; updated 12/09/03

It is obvious to me that Meredith believes she is a know it all and no one else can have a say. Your a loser Meredith if you can`t accept others opinions. I appreciate that you think it is tacky but not everyone does. My partner and I have everything that we need so we will be putting a small note in our invites that we have everything we require but there will be a wishing well of some sort there in case anyone would like to contribute a gift. Most people like to give something. It is a tradition.
Posted by Kari; updated 04/20/04

Of course, most people are going to bring you a gift, and most will bring you a card with money in it. So have your wishing well, but don`t mention it on your invitations.Your closest family and friends will know your situation and know that you want money. People on here say "No one minded we requested money they were happy we told them" Or "the people on here are old fashioned it is 2004", I`m going to say that you will never know what they say behind your back...and I personally feel good manners never go out of style. Just my opinion....good luck
Posted by Bethy; updated 04/21/04

Kari,

First off, it`s not an opinion - it`s what is socially acceptable among people. Etiquette is a standard, not an opinion.

Second, if you are attempting to insult someone at least use the right `your`. It would be `you`re a loser` not `your a loser.

Finally, why do you think B&G`s are entitled to a gift and that they have the right to request anything? How presumptous.
Posted by Meredith; updated 05/19/04

I just started yesterday an at home study program to be a bridal consultant and in my book it states that you should never mention money or gifts BUT if a couple is involved in a charity they may put a little card inside their invites that reads " In lieu of a gift, we would appreciate a contribution to (insert name of charity). It also states that if you prefer not to have gifts than to have family members spread the word informally.
While I am not an expert yet, I am working on it.
Posted by brandy; updated 05/20/04

I felt compelled to write this. May I just say that as a bride to be, I was perusing wedding sites for the first time and shocked at the banter that goes back and forth.... Especially from Merideth. It`s clear that for her to respond so diligently to anything that is said in opposition to her view speaks volumes about how full and busy her life is. (insert sarcasm) Best of luck with any of you who are brides to be. It`s such an exciting time and one that should not be wasted listening to people who are nasty and argumentative.
Posted by Rhea; updated 05/26/04

I would love to go back to teh day when all of this etiqutte was started and figure out what people were thinking! It all started as a trend of some sort and stayed that way, if they started a trend that turned into a "law" than why not start a new one!
Posted by brandy; updated 05/26/04

I`m sorry but I hope bad manners never become a trend....and that is what asking for gifts especially money is .
We all know that you can count on people giving you Wedding gifts (though it should not be expected), and I am going to say once again, that most will give you cards, with checks in them. Probably more than 90% of our guests gave us money, the others gave us beautiful thoughtful gifts. We had a container at our reception to deposit cards in, so they woouldn`t get misplaced, but it was indicated no where (especially on our beautiful invitations).
Let`s not be a part of any new trend, making the world ruder than it is already becoming! Just my thought.
Posted by RecentBride; updated 05/27/04

So what you are saying is other cultures are rude for asking for money. In a vast majority of other cultures, asking for money is acceptable. So what makes our culture any better than the others?
Posted by brandy; updated 05/27/04

I know it is wrong to say, but meridith is right, never mention money in an invintation, it will make you look to greedy. But what you can do is say that gifts would be unnessasary, just the thought counts. If you say that then who you are inviting should understand. I dont see how trying to help a bride can end up in such an argument, all you have to do is answer then be on your way, dont even make smart remarks about everyone else, and that goes for everyone here who was acting like a three year old child.
Posted by kasey; updated 05/30/04

I will be married in 9 weeks and we have requested a wishing well (on the invites). Out of 47 RSVPs, I have had nothing but good responses from my guests. Most of them found it refreshing to give real support to us rather than another toaster. I also gave them the option of gift or money. I agree asking for money may seem tacky to the older generation but the Italians, Greeks and the Indians have been doing it for years. In India, the money is split between the Bride and Groom`s parents to pay for the Wedding. My fiancee and I just bought a house, we recieved EVERYTHING from the engagement party and don`t need three toasters.

Good luck with your wedding!!
Posted by John; updated 08/22/04

Yes...it is tacky to just flat out ask for money...but I rec`d an invitation lately that was extremely creative & so cute it did not offend anyone that I know of..It went like this..... Before this couple embarks on life, Before (grooms name) makes (brides name) his wife, Before we hear the wedding bells, consider a gift for their wishing well.
A shower is a celebration and a gift is not necessary...but I don`t know ANYONE that has ever shown up empty handed and this lets them know that money is acceptable rather than trying to take time from a very busy schedule to find the `pefect` gift!!!!
Posted by Jan; updated 02/01/09

Just one question:

Why is it acceptable, even standard etiquette, to ask for gifts off a registry (most people include a card with the registry information in their invitation), but completely appalling to ask for wishing well gifts?

Wishing wells are especially useful for brides, like both of my sisters, who relocate internationally or across the country after the wedding... And who don`t want to box up three toasters and that crystal statue that is absolutely of NO use!

A wishing well is just like a gift registry, and no one should feel ashamed or inappropriate to mention it accordingly.
Posted by Gabrielle; updated 10/28/10