Mexican Wedding Tradition

Hi, I`m Karla Im mexican but my bf is from Ohio and we`ll get married in some months, we`ll celebrate our wedding in my country. But here, there`s a tradition for groom during the receptions in which the groom is lifted up to the air for the males and after tossed to the air several times, my bf doesn`t know anything about this and I need an advise of a guy, Should I warn him about this?? or should I eliminate this part in the reception?? could this be unkind for him?? help me please
Posted by karla; updated 05/15/03

I`m mexican and I never have heard of this tradition. I have researched (on-line of course) and I don`t see that this is a "tradition". Maybe you should eliminate it all together. This is just my opinion.
Posted by yngrandma; updated 05/20/03

I am Mexican too and I have never heard of this either, it must be something special about the state you are from. It would scare me if I were your bf!
Posted by sandra; updated 05/20/03

Here`s an interesting fact about where this tradition may have originated. First, are you of a jewish faith? That is a common tradition ina jewish wedding. I read this article in college (but i wasn`t a great student so I can`t remember where I found it) but people as we know, were persecuted for having different religons. So they held underground /secret ceremonies of their faith. The children, didn`t understand why and as they grew older practiced `rituals` not knowing it had a religous background. These `rituals` became tradition. So for example, the chair thing might have had a original purpose that was lost. That might not be the case in this one, but it could be!
Posted by jennie; updated 05/21/03

I send these pages as a reference of i`ve said, for the two mexican girls, also, this tradition doesnt have a religius background, it`s just for havving fun at the recepetion

Http://www.virtualvallarta.com/vallarta/articles/ss01-traditionalweddings.html

Http://www.simplyfamily.com/display.cfm?articleID=000503_mexican_wedding_customs.cfm

Http://www.bridalspace.com/cgi-bin/showarticle.cgi?city=ON&go=88
Posted by reference; updated 05/24/03

My fiance`s brother had this tradition at his wedding, the one where he was standing up on a chair and the other males had to try to knock him down while some males guarded him. He was also tossed in the air, he was fine. It`s fun, not harmful. Don`t know the origin of this tradition, but we`re from NYC and his family is from Puebla, Mexico if that helps any.
Posted by Marilyn; updated 09/10/03

Why eliminate it? I mean, it only symbolizes the death of the groom`s bachelor life according to many Mexicans, even this young Mexican woman living out in Mexico . . . Here`s the brief message she wrote and she also has concerns. Well, each to his own, but are you guys afraid that the groom will fall and hurt himself? :o)
Posted by Marilyn; updated 09/10/03

Hi, I am hispanic and so is my fiance. This kind of tradition happens in every wedding I have been to here in south texas. So, I say go for it. So far no-one has been hurt. Not only do they thow him up in the air but they also remove some of his clothing. It is actually fun to watch. Have fun!
Posted by PGarza; updated 09/17/03

I have heard about where they tossed the groom up in the air by all the males. It means that he is already "dead". They carry him and they put the bride`s vail on top of him while he is carried and her flower arrangment also. Its fun because it means that he is no longer alive for those girls out there and his friends. No more party for him!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Maritza; updated 09/22/03

I invite you to see my wedding pictures, i finally decided to include this part into our wedding reception, he took this gladly, the men not just tossed him, they also removed his socks and shoes.

Http://groups.msn.com/NuestraBodaKArla/shoebox.msnw

Write me your opinions plz
Posted by Karla; updated 09/25/03

Well... To give you my opinion. I think you should not eliminate anything if you want to stick with a traditional Mexican wedding. And yes there is such a thing if you are a true mexican! I have been to lots of weddings and have seen this before. I think it is a GREAT idea and not cruel. Have fun ... Girlfriend sueltate el chongo!
Posted by latina; updated 11/18/03

I have been t several mexican weddings (at leat 20) in m life and I have seen this tradition done at every sing le one. Some of the wedding were frineds and other familiy. The people getting married had backgrounds in may diffrents states in Mexico!!! This is a true Mexican Traditon! I say tell him about it and if he is okay with it cool. If he does not like the Idea inform the guys that they should leave him alone. It is our and his wedding and you shoulc be able to choose what you both want no matter what anyone else says.
Posted by mary; updated 11/20/03

I am not mexican, but my husband is. He has lived in the US for 6 years. I have been to 2 weddings in Mexico, mine and a friends and several mexican weddings here in the US and the men participated in this tradition at all of them. I can`t beleive you all are mexican and have never heard of this! Actually they carry the man first as if carrying a casket, to signify the death of his life as it was and then they toss him. But if this might shock him there is another tradtion for the receotion when the guest pin $$ on the grooms shirt and write a message for good luck.
Posted by Nicole; updated 01/21/04

We`re a mexican couple and I think it`s popular this tradition, in Mexico , my brother and my husband lived it, and I still remember my husband flying into the air,lol I almost get widower and at the end of this "ritual" I had to help my husband to redress his socks and his shoes even he has jiggles in his feet
Posted by Adriana; updated 01/23/04

Bull
Posted by blah; updated 02/09/04

My suggestion would be to discuss it with your bf. If he loves and respects you he probably won`t have a problem also respecting your traditions. Good luck and don`t be afraid to make the request
Posted by Janine; updated 12/27/04