How To Decorate A Chair

I`ve been assigned to investigate ways to decorate chairs for a reception. The hall rents covers for $3 a pop but the groom feels this is too much for a detail. Does anyone have a simple idea for dressing up plain chairs?
I suggested just to let the guests be the chair `decorations` by their simple presence in chairs, but perhaps you can imagine how a bride views such a suggestion after setting her heart on something else. Hee hee!
Posted by MOLLY; updated 04/22/03

I am also in this situation. The place we`re having the reception has ugly blue plastic chairs, and like you, we really thought renting chair covers for over $3 each is a bit much. After all, we`d be spending something like $400 on something that wasn`t even ours in the end!

A friend came up with the idea of decorating just the backs, as when people are sitting in them that`s all you`ll see anyhow. She thought if we had someone who could sew, we could keep an eye out for some cheap material and sew a simple pillow case sort of thing that could easily go over the back.

However, as the months go by and there`s so many other things to spend money on...I`m thinking more and more than no one is going to care about the darned chairs but me! So I`m reconsidering covering them at all.

Hope this helps at least a bit!

K
Posted by Kimberly; updated 04/22/03

You can rent chair back covers with a sash for 1.75
Posted by Melissa; updated 04/22/03

For my wedding I went to different thrift stores and bought pastel colored pillow cases and stenciled wedding bells on them ( Be sure to wash the covers first ) also check them over good you do not want stained covers. They fit perfect over the chairs and I got many OH`s and AH`s . CW
Posted by Carolyn; updated 04/18/04

I have been looking into chair covers myself - it is really expensive to rent chair and sashes. I found disposible chair covers for $1.99 each ($1.68 when you buy bulk). I am also going to use tulle to add some color.
Posted by Melissa; updated 02/11/08

I bought some tulle and made my own chair bows very easy you can look on line for ways to make bows and just make them big enough to set on the back of ur chair i put both of my colors together which is blue and white and made 125 and iam going to put bows around to blend with the chairs as well as on my flower girls dress and basket, looks really good and easy good luck
Posted by sandra; updated 03/30/09