`Grease`themed Party For 10 Year Old Girl!

My niece was (and still is) obsessed with the film `Grease` so my sister (her mum) asked me to help her plan a themed party based on the movie.

The invitations were made by printing the word `Grease` on Wordart and then sticking it to card and cutting round it. The info was written inside.The guests were told of the theme and asked to dress in appropiately themed clothes which could also include 50`s and American theme to make it easier for parents to get a costume sorted.

We had about 10 girls and 4 boys turn up at the house and everyone had made a fantastic effort with their costumes. We even had a `George Bush` turn up!!! My daughter wore a dotty rock n roll skirt with mesh under with a halterneck top, flat pumps and a dotty headband. My son wore the trademark white t shirt and faded blue jeans. I found him a cheap fake leather jacket in a charity store for a couple of pounds and drew the `T Birds` logo on the back, which I then filled in with white correction fluid. He had a comb sticking out of his back pocket also.

We decorated the house in large juke box cut outs, records and American flags; all of which are easy to come by at any party shop.We had American theme tableware.

We had a team game where the children had to answer questions about the movie and then another where they had to guess which character was being decribed from the film, with bonus points being given if they could quote a line from the film that that character had said.

We had a Grease kareoke dvd that we put on which all the kids loved - even the boys joined in.

The most popular game was a cheerleading competition where in teams the children made up their own chants about the birthday girl.

We had a final game where the children needed to collect parts of a typical diner meal or snack(burgers, knickerbocker glorys etc) and be the first team to complete their meal. These were drawn or cut out on pieces of paper.

Foodwise we did diner stye food, burgers, hot dogs, fries, ice cream.My sister is a talented cake maker and managed to make a cake a little similar to the Barbie ones you see, where you insert Barbie into the cake and make the skirt around the bottom, but we made a Sandy of course and decorated her in her Rydell High cheerleaders costume.

For party bags we again went for the American theme. We filled them with mini burger and hot dog sweets and funky straws. Each boy got a mini leather jacket keyring and the girls got a girly pump keyring.

I hope someone can use these ideas somewhere!
Posted by kattie; updated 06/19/07