Senior Citizen Birthday Ideas Can You Suggest Some?

I will be starting a new job in a month or so and I will be working with a different market than I have worked with in the past, senior citizens. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for birthday parties or event ideas for senior citizens?
Posted by Ashley; updated 01/02/07

Seniors have very different needs. Some are spry and energetic, others less capable and some less aware.
I think it helps to know your audience, but be aware that they will not have as much stamina as you!
When scheduling events, be sure to combine an activity with an entertainment component that will allow them to rest from the activity but still enjoy some more time at the party. You might contact a local church or other organization (even school choirs) that provide performances for free.
Be aware of dietary needs.
Depending on their age and ability, keep directions uncomplicated and repeat them often. Talk to them, not down to them and make eye contact as often as possible.
BINGO is still popular in my neighborhood as long as the Bingo caller speaks clearly, slowly and repeats the numbers!
Very loud noises are not usually welcome (again, depending on the age) and make sure the lighting is sufficient.
A, "the year you were born" party can have a fun theme too and will have many of them laughing over what was popular back then!
Posted by Terri; updated 01/16/07

Life Story Books! Creating a life story books are a great way to honor a birthday, as we all have a story to tell. I just completed a 95 year old grandmother book; and it was fabulous. We now have a "guide to storybooking" on our website for life stories. Contact me and I can set up a publishing account for you and discuss further options.

Visit our page for more info: Heritage Makers, Preserving Your Joyful Memories

Posted by Lisa Klipfel; updated 01/21/07

Comedian for senior citizens
Send e mail for info
Posted by mark brier; updated 09/25/08