Padrino Etiquette

Any suggestions on "stranger" padrinos. My daughter`s quince will be in 2008. My neice will be soon in 2007. I THOUGHT that the padrinos were supposed to be close family & friends but my sister is just asking whoever she thinks has the $$$ to do it. They are people we don`t really talk to a lot. I don`t feel that is right and I`m not sure how to tell her. Maybe she is right. Personally, I don`t want any padrinos. I am a person who likes to be in control so I am doing everything myself, which is why I started planning last year.
Posted by Tina; updated 10/02/06

Traditionally Padrino`s are close friends or members of the family. The whole reason for a padrino is that traditionally when a wedding/quinceanera was being thrown, the entire family helped. Not necessarily with money, but by providing products/services i.e., the dress, the cake, the food. It was a way for the entire family to help on this special day. I personally feel that it`s very inappropriate to ask people to sponsor because they have the $$$.
Posted by ann; updated 10/06/06

Traditionally Padrino`s are close friends or members of the family. The whole reason for a padrino is that traditionally when a wedding/quinceanera was being thrown, the entire family helped. Not necessarily with money, but by providing products/services i.e., the dress, the cake, the food. It was a way for the entire family to help on this special day. I personally feel that it`s very inappropriate to ask people to sponsor because they have the $$$.
Posted by anna; updated 10/06/06

I agree. The Padrinos (sponsors) should be close family members and close friends (tight friends who has seen the quinceanera grow up). And they don`t only help monetarily but also with service. Throwing a Quince and/or Sweet 16 is expensive and unless you have it like that there is no reason why you shouldn`t delegate some of the smaller responsibiities to the Titis, Tios, Abuelos, and Adopted Titi. Its funny... My cousin is doing her daughter`s quince in February 07 - She has delegated small things to her brother and sisters....now I have a very close relationship with her daughter...she calls me titi and I call her my niece.....my daughter and her daughters are very close (like sisters too.......and she gave me the biggest responsiblity ---- coordinating the church service - decorations etc at the church. I will pay for the service as well. On top of that, I`ve become her party planner. I gone with her to meet with various choreographers, look at dresses, tuxedos etc......I do the scheduling to meet the vendors etc.......we feed off each other. Our theme is Winter Wonderland .... And I am constantly coming up with a new idea. I did the pew bows, I am now working on the candle stand, money box and pillows. If I need to order something I do it and she pays me later. I do it because I love my niece and second because I am having a ball doing it. I hope I have this much fun when I start planning for my daughter`s quince in May 08 - although my daughter has already picked her theme and `ve already done my research for the things she wants ....she knows who she wants to get as a choreographer so come early next year after the holidays and once we have my nieces all squared away we will go looking for reception place and as soon as I find one we like ..we will book it.....I don`t have any siblings but in-laws are great and I will delegate somethings to them and I know my cousin will be at my side as I am by hers now. The love gots to be there.
Posted by Jeannette; updated 10/23/06