Sweet 16

Wld like to plan an inexpensive sweet 16 for my daughter in July 2007. My preference is to have it in the Bronx, However, I will consider Manhattan. I am willing to spend approximately $35-40 a plate for adults. However, I am also considering a Hall or Community center where I can bring food.Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Posted by Carol; updated 09/07/06

I would go with the cooking yourself, you get a better flavor of food than most places that cook for you. I find that you get a better price, food seasoned like the kids like and you find that you can serve more selections. We had 180 kids and adults. The menu offered by the hall was $55 per person for Lemon Pepper Chicken, green beans, pilaf rice and roll. For that money, I prepared the food at my church which had 4 6-burner stoves and with the help of the cooks from the church, we prepared grilled chicken with a dry rub, rotisserie chicken, steamed broccoli with roasted garlic, sauteed green beans, corn cobettes, rice, macaroni & cheese, salad and rolls. We got more for our money. I also was able to get 2 chocolate fountains (purchased) and fruit and raw veggies shaped like flowers. I had the veggies standing in dip that was dyed green to look like they are growing in grass. The fruit, they dipped in the chocolate. So instead of spending $10,000 for the catering, I spent $3000 and the kids really loved the food and the set up. Be creative. I can tell you how we did things if you want.
Posted by Mom; updated 09/10/06