Invitation Wording

My daughter is a music performance major in college and is going to perfume her junior recital in April. It is a required performance and is done with one other junior. A reception is to follow. The entire event expenses are covered by the students` or the students` parents. We want to send out invitations to select individuals from our locale who have expressed a desire to make the trip. It is to an out of state college. I have been informed by my daughter that from what she has seen that it is treated very much like a wedding by some students. My only concern at the moment is how to word the invitations. I haven`t been able to find an example of such an event anywhere on line. It is an evening event on campus. Students in attendence are bound to wear jeans. Staff will be in formal wear. I expect that travelors will wear casual nice since the drive is 2.5 hours from our city. The music is mostly operatic. The performers and musicians will be in formal attire. The stage will be formal as will the reception area after. Wording is making me crazy. Her father and I are separated and he is not contributing anything towards expenses. The other student should be in the invitationalso so that people don`t expect an evening of just a solo performance. Please help!!!!
Posted by Micky; updated 01/26/03

Micky, how was your daughter`s recital? I am currently arranging a senior recital for my daughter and, like you, am having trouble finding sample invitations and other instructions. Would you be able to share any of your experiences? My daughter is in high school but I would stil like the recital similar to a college performance. Thank you for your time and help.....
Posted by Becky; updated 04/05/03

I also have the same difficulty, only I am the senior student who has to put it on for myself. Is there any advice you would give me? Any experiences you had that you would like to share?
Posted by Melanie; updated 03/11/04

I need the wording on a invitation for my Daughter ,who is a Music Major, recital. Nothing fancy, just plain and simple.
Posted by Sheila; updated 05/27/04

I, too, am planning my daughter`s senior recital (April `08). I clicked on the link you suggested, but I do not see anything that gives suggested wording for invitations on the suggested site. Do you have any other suggestions or is there a specific section of the site that I`m just missing? Thanks for your help.
Posted by Jessica; updated 12/22/07

My mother suggested for me to send out invitations for my recital as well, but not being able to find anything online I had to come up with my own wording by creating a hybrid of some information from the recital program and my own. This is how the invitations read:

You are cordially invited to
The Junior Recital of

Estefania Cuevas
Mezzo-Soprano

In collaboration with
Cheryl Wight, Piano

Thursday, April 3, 2008
7:30 p.m.
Mason Hall Performance Center
Jacksonville State University

This recital is given in partial
Fulfillment of the requirements for
The Bachelor of Arts in Music Education.

A great website for free (and great looking!) printable invitations if you are on a budget is www.invitationland.com.

I hope this helped!
Posted by Estef; updated 03/24/08

I have given a junior, senior, and am now preparing for a masters recital, so I understand all of your pain.

You are cordially invited to a
__________ Recital
Presented by
NAME_______

Saturday, the fifth of March
Two-thousand nine
__________ Recital Hall
__________ University
CITY, STATE (spelled out)
Reception to follow (in _____________ (LOBBY, ETC))
(optional)

Hope this helps!
Spelling everything out, and choosing a formal invitation will signal to the guests that the event is formal and suggest dress.
(like a good wedding invite would)

Alyssa

BTY, some words can be substituted, like given by instead of presented by, etc...
Posted by Alyssa; updated 01/14/09

I am searching for an invitation design and wording for my daughter`s college Senior Recital . As like the entries prior to mine I am having trouble with an invitation design that represents the style and format of the event. Your words of wisdom have made it easier. Thank you
Posted by Stephanie W; updated 01/27/09