MY MOM TOOK MY QUINCE AWAY

Well I had a deal with my mom about my quince. The deal was that I couldn`t have a boyfriend until after my quince which was going to be in january 2007 in mexico. I turned 15 in may 2006. However in december 2005 I met a guy who I liked and he liked me too. We talked nad mom found out so she took my quince away. Well later on she gave it back. Then she found out that we were still communicating from his stae to mine by phone and mail. He was sending the mail to my friends house so my parents wouldn`t find out. We couldn`t even talk to each other because our families are enemies from time back. So then she took it away again. Well 2 weeks ago she said she was reconsidering giving my quince back. My mom was letting me choose my dress and everything like I had it back for sure. Well one night we got home back really late and she was tired. She ask me to give her a massage. So I was going to massage her back but she wanted a foot massage. I said no when she brought it up. It started out as an idea then as a favor then she began to DEMAND it. I said no but this had happened before and she had just joked around about it. But this time she got really mad and kicked me out of her room. Then she stormed into my room and said that a person like me does not deserve a quince and she does not have to be working her butt off for a party. That she doesn`t even want to eat so she can have enough money. Before she left my room she said "You can be forgetting about your Quinceanera cause you`re never gonna get it." I`ve been dreaming about my quinceanera since I can remember and she has too. I don`t like the way my mom is but sometimes only sometimes she can be nice. How can i get my quince back?
Posted by ANDREINA; updated 07/24/06

It sounds like your mother needs to have some kind of counseling because if that is the way that she acts, she hasn`t grown up much. Instead of worrying about a Quince, you need to worry about your relationship with your mother and then, the Quince will happen. Talk to a counselor at school or a Priest at Church and together work on your relationship and I believe from there, your mother will work on your Quince as it is important to you both, even if she isn`t acting as if it is right now, or your mother could probably be reacting to the fact that she can`t afford it and would rather make it seem like a punishment rather than admit that she can`t afford it.
Posted by Yanis; updated 07/29/06

Wow, I totally agree your relationship with your mom should be the most important thing right now. I gather she is a single mom under alot of stress. As a single mom myself I understand the pressures and sometimes I feel my 13 year doesn`t appreciate the sacrifices because she is so used to getting everything she wants from both myself and her dad and her older brother. But I thank God that we both have God in our lives and we are able to talk through things and she apologizes for her insensitivity and I for my shortcomings. We started planning her Quince. She wants a Fairytale Quince - it will be pretty awesome Quince with all the detailing going into the planning. I am lucky that her dad and her aunts are helping out but I know I am going to be working pretty hard to make this event a very special one for her. Her them song is a A Dream is A Wish you Heart Makes and I am going to make it happen to her but she also knows that she has to put her part in it.. I ask that she does well in school, carries herself as a young lady with respect above all. When I ask her to help out I expect for her to pull her weight as well. This is a joint effort. Like I said it sounds like youir mom is under a lot of pressure, feels unappreciated and has other issues that she hasn`t worked out. As her daughter you need to be more sympathetic to her and be as helpful as you can unselfishly. Hug her once in a while and tell her that you love her and appreciate all she does for you. Agree that you haven`t been acting very deservingly but that you would like to change that and if you have a Quinceanera that would be great but if not that you would understand. If it is a matter of money perhaps you can do a part time job and help pay for something, your dress. The important thing is that you communicate with her and she with you in a positive way. I sometimes have to blow up at my daughter when she starts thinking of herself but after i calm down we talk like to civilized people. I hear what she has to say and she hears what I have to say, we apologize for our behavior, embrace and move on. We are humans and imperfect. We are going to make mistakes along the way, but we should be learning from them and not be punished. Of course, you are 15 and in every essence are already a young woman of which a Quince has nothing to do with that. Therefore, remember that every decision you make will have consequences. Now it is up to you whether those consequences are positive or negative. I wish you and your mom all the best. I will be praying for you both and I hope you get your Quince you have been dreaming about but it is now up to you how you handle it and how you sbring in 2007. You only have a few months to go. God Bless
Posted by Jeannette; updated 08/01/06