Cheap Catering

I am looking for a small catering company that will be able to cater a wedding party of about 150 guests, for around $600......any idea`s.......I`m in a bind, and on a tight budget.......thanks...:)

Tracy H.
Posted by Tracy H; updated 07/12/06

Sorry, I live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area....
Posted by Tracy H; updated 07/12/06

Haha....GOOD LUCK!!! There is nowhere that I know of that will cater that cheap. Especially with the price of food. It takes a lot to feed people and having 150 people doesn`t help either. It`s pretty much impossible. My aunt caters and she has even stated to me that she couldn`t do that for someone because that`s basically what her cost is. So, good luck!!
Posted by Tracie; updated 07/12/06

I think that you have a few options...you may or may not like

1. Get married in the afternoon ( after lunch..1:00??) and have cake and drinks for reception instead of a full meal

2. Go to the restaurant and pick up the tab

3. Have everyone bring a dish

4. Try contacting some local restaurants that have good food but not that pricey..maybe they can make a deal with you??

I can tell you that it is going to be very difficult to find a company to cater to a large group for that price. Good luck! Hope this helps.
Posted by Laura; updated 07/12/06

Get your facts straight before you place judgement on me. I wasn`t laughing at her. It`s just a phrase!!!! I was simply telling her that there is no way a caterer will work for that little.
Posted by Tracie; updated 07/14/06

Actually, you could pull it off, with a little help from your friends and family. Have alot of finger foods, nothing fancy, but you could make vegetable trays, cracker and cheese trays, fruit bowls, have a build it yourself sandwich bar with meats cut paper thin, and designate people to serve, so it`s all cafeteria style. You won`t believe all the food you can buy with $600.00, just prepare all the vegetables the day before, and use someone`s large refrigerator, you can even find large turkey platters at Dollar stores for $1. Decorate the table by putting large blocks of wood in various height under a large tablecloth and adding your wedding colors, it will look quite beautiful. Let me know if this helps. By the way, I fed 100 people for less than $400.00 by doing the same thing, and we had a ton of food left over.
Posted by martin; updated 07/17/06

For my wedding, I just had the meat catered by a nice restraunt...it was only about $3 per person for both chick and beef. Then my family and I did the side dishes and I hired a lady to run the buffet for me. I saved a ton that way!
Posted by Angela; updated 07/18/06

Try ukrops if you have one in your area. Set it up and ask family and friends to monitor the food.
Posted by Melissa Payne; updated 07/18/06

Hello Perla, Ok I hope you can picture this the right way. This is not at all hard. If you need further help just email me again, I`ll get your message.
1. Take several pieces of wood in different heights, preferably 2 by 12`s work best, cut them to several 12 and 24" pieces. Make enough to go under your food platters in different heights, in other words, stack 4- 2 by 12`s by 12" long and secure together with screws or nails so that you get a rectangular piece of joined wood. Position it on your table, working with higher pieces in the back, and going smaller in the front, most banquet tables are 8 to 10` long so you can put alot of platters on one table. Boxes also work great, by the way.
2. Use a large enough table cloth to cover the entire table with room to push down a little around your stacked wood platter holders, (I hope you are understanding this) making sure that you don`t see any of the wood (or boxes) underneath the cloth.
3. If you wish to completely hide the table and legs, use either a large tablecloth coming down the front of the table or use a pre-made table skirt. If you decide to use the tablecloth to hide the table, put this on and position it before putting on the wood.
4. Add your different platters of food as you see fit, but make sure that you group same foods together, ie: meats with rolls, and vegetables with dips.

This all looks quite awesome if you just stand back often and picture it as you are putting it together. You don`t even have to use wood, get some milk crates, pepsi crates, sturdy boxes in different heights and sizes, the possibilities are endless. To decorate your table for better accent, add garland to table before you put the platters on, and you can even run mini string lights up and around the "boxes" which makes a beautiful addition to any wedding, indoors or out.

If you are having a buffet style as I mentioned earlier to you, then don`t make the boxes so high, you will still get the same dramatic effect, and you can have someone serve standing in the back of the table. Let me know if this helps.
Posted by martin; updated 07/20/06

Sorry Tracie H, I looked at the wrong name>>> my bad.
Posted by martin; updated 07/20/06

A caterer in Merrillville Indiana could have done it. Economy Catereing
Posted by Jennifer; updated 02/01/08

A friend of mine told me to go to chick fila. They have huge platters of wraps and sandwiches, fruit trays etc.. Im getting married in august and im in the same boat as you. It is very difficult to find alot of food for such a little price. Also my mom suggested having a potluck dinner thats cheap and then go to costco and buy like little cans of soda and little bottles of water. I do have alot of ideas myself im just not sure which one to go with. I hope this helps congrats on your marriage and good luck. I know how stressful wedding planning can be. :)
Posted by marie; updated 03/03/09

I have just hired a studand from my local collage for the day and paid him £100 abd bought the food from the wholesalers that cost me 380
And rather than buying lots of ingredeants to make bug meals and buffetsi bought joints of meats and had the collage caterer roast them and then just served with bowls of salads pasta`s and potatoes and bought some frozen deserts i had 200 guests and it was more than enought every one said how nice it was
Posted by nicole; updated 07/19/09

I just got married on a budget .
I hired a student caterer from my collage for £100 and bought the food from the wholesalers that cost £380
Rather than buy things for big meals and fancy foods i bought 2 beef joints 2 pork joints and 3 large chickens
And had the cater cook them and serve with pastas salads potatoes ect .
Then bought loads of posh frozen party deserts
Was plenty to go round and i had 200 guests and every one said how nice it was to have a carvery and i even had money left over to hire a waiter (from the collage too ) for £50 for the afternoon was lovely
Posted by nicole; updated 07/19/09

Umm juan pollo would be able to do it just order two of there big packages and it will be about 500 bucks...and its delicious...
Posted by cherry; updated 02/01/10

You would have to do sandwiches & finger food. Maybe pita & croissant sandwiches, with a tray of fruit & cheeses. Thom Thumb has a great finger food menu & they cater.

Good Luck
Posted by Debbie; updated 01/06/11

Where are you located and when do you need it for??
Posted by chrissy; updated 03/13/12