21st Birthday Party

Okay so I`m throwing my 21st birthday party in 5 months (early I know) and I`m not real sure what to do for it. I was thinking of doing a luau theme.. But I know that is way overdone and plus it can get expensive. I`m inviting between 20-30 people. And I was thinking of mixing my own beverage (like they do for weddings). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas and suggestions of things to do and different themes. I want this to be an awesome 21st birthday party. *No strippers* Thanks everyone!
Posted by Lisa; updated 02/14/06

Lisa,
I like the idea of a luau (in five months no matter where you live it will be warm!) and mixing your own beverage. Will you be bottling it? If so, you could call it, "Legal 21" (made with 21 ingredients of course). Make your own label on the computer or just make a label and put it on a bottle of "generic" spirits for fun. Or you could make a giant fountain punch (beverage fountains are available to rent at many party suppliers). Get a mock "volcano" to put behind the fountain and write the "21" ingredients down the side of the volcano. You could actually build a paper mache volcano around the fountain to make it look like your punch is coming out the top of the volcano like lava.
Keep themes going in groups of 21 (foods, colors, etc.) Happy guests could get up and have one minute (timed) to say 21 things they like about you! have fun and don`t forget to drink responsibly.
No lecture here just advice: We went to a party where it was anticipated that nearly eveyone would be drinking and the hosts had people hand in their car keys at the beginning of the party. They were labled and kept in a safe location by a designated person who was not drinking. At the end of the party you got them back only if you were not drinking. Keep track with a hand stamp. Had a drink? Stamp your hand. Taxis were called for those who couldn`t drive. No judging, no pressure, just a great decision made by hosts who cared about their friends. The life you save that night will come to your 22nd birthday! (The host at that part picked up the tab for taxis that night, but you could also arrange for designated drivers ahead of time so you`re not scrambling at the last minute to find people to drive).
Posted by Terri; updated 02/15/06

Lisa,
One more thing! Oriental Trading has great deals on Luau items. It`s not necessary to go overboard on your party, but you should definately decide on a budget ahead of time. Ask some friends to pitch in with some food (a party that is just fun appetizers is a good way to keep down the cost - no main course to consider). And no matter how many times it`s been done, the "Limbo" really does still rock! It`s like a Pacific version of "Hokey Pokey." Never stale, always good for a laugh.
Instead of whole flowers which can be expensive, ask your local craft store for flower scraps (plastic, dried, fabric - it`s all good) and just scatter flower petals and leaves over white table cloths. Same effect, a lot less money. Leis are cheap & so are the tiny umbrellas for drinks.
Posted by Terri; updated 02/15/06