60th Birthday Party

Hi I`m planning a 60th birthday party for my Dad at the end of April. This is going to be held outside in my backyard. I`m wondering if anyone has any ideas for themes, games, special momentos etc. They party is going to be mostly family with about 35-40 people including kids. If anyone can give me some ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted by Lisa; updated 02/14/06

Backyard parties are great! How about a party that celebrates the decades of his life. Beginning with the 40`s you could have one station that has baby pictures of your father and events from that era You could have a mock newspaper headline that announces his birth in the headlines. At that, the appetizer table, choose foods that were popular in that era. Find a few model airplanes from WWII and perhaps toys that were popular when he was small.

Move on to the 50`s. Main course table with photos of your dad as a boy and teenager. Memorabilia from the 50`s is all the rage now so you should be able to decorate that in a matter of minutes.

The 60`s. Was he married in the 60`s? Put those photos on the table with some groovy tablecloth colors and peace signs everywhere. Food was healthy - this is the "veggee-table"

The 70`s: Were you born then? Did the family grow? Did you take family vacations - then put those photos out as well. It wasn`t just disco, but if you have that glass disco ball you could make it a centerpiece (or make one). Brown and orange were the reigning color schemes then and remember the dark paneling? (you could recreate that for a table cloth!).

80`s: Preppy or not, I can`t help but see picture of Ronald Regan as part of the display, but you could also use some technology here. A lot of inventions in computers, video cameras etc. Were made available in the 80s for the "common man" to use.

90`s: Grandchildren? More photos. This could be the dessert table. The 90`s movies were Forest Gump and The Nutty Professor. The desserts could include things with nuts and maybe boxes of chocolates! ("Mama always said life, is like a box of chocolates...")

2000s: If you have a digital camera and you`ve been taking pictures, you could print them up at home (even in b&w) and set them up on this table for people to take. This is also a good table for the gifts.

Have fun!!
Posted by Terri; updated 02/15/06

Hi Terri

Thanks for all of the suggestions. They are very good ideas. I`m going to try to incorporate that into the party.
Let`s pray for good weather.

Thanks again
Lisa
Posted by Lisa; updated 02/15/06

Hello Lisa
How did your party go? I am arranging a 60th birthday party for my husband and he is also retiring after 30 years in the police force. Can you give me any tips and how did you do your invitations? Many thanks

Eve
Posted by Eve Le Maire; updated 05/12/06