50th Birthday, Hollywood Award Show Theme

I am planning a surprise 50th birthday party for my sister. The theme is an hollywood award show. I am going to have the enterance to the hall set up with red carpet and velvet ropes. I need ideas on how to decorate inside the hall and also the table centerpieces. I was thinking of using Red, Gold and Silver as the colors. Any ideas or sugesstions.
Posted by Lisa Green; updated 02/12/06

Bill Reed Decorations rents Hollywood theme props for events just like yours!!!! www.billreed.com

Visit our page for more info: Bill Reed Decorations

Posted by Marjorie; updated 02/13/06

Thanks, great site but I need a company located in the NYC tri state area.
Posted by Lisa Green; updated 02/13/06

Off the top of my head so I haven`t actually worked this one out in person:
One suggestion would be to rent one or two large screens and just like the Academy Awards, you can show "movie scenes" of the person`s life. Home movies in black and white, even still photos set to fading in and out with appropriate, emotional background music would be a great start. Over time color photos, videos etc. Could be added to show the progression of their life and could be played while the party is going on. The good thing about this is that guests at the party will see themselves up there on the big screen too!

You will also need a podium for when (after dinner) certain guests receive their awards: Best Comedic Influence (teen years, Adult Years) , Most Dramatic Influence...etc. Use your imagination, but don`t forget to include children, parents & good friends. Though there could be multiple contenders for each award, they are all centered around how they impacted the guest of honor, of course! Speeches should be inpromptu!

You could also print out a program detailing the awards ceremony - if some of the guests see their names on paper "up for an award" they`ll really get into the party!

Enlist the aid of a beautiful family member to wear a long gown and usher award winners off the stage. Any award will do at this point - a cupie doll, a statue of liberty paperweight, old baseball trophies... Or you can go classic and order academy award replicas - I can`t imagine there isn`t a site out there in online land that doesn`t make them.

Centerpieces: Disposable cameras for those "flash" opportunities by academy award guests. Picture frames come to mind at each place setting (naturally) and perhaps a small bouquet of flowers "roped off" in the center of the table on a red velvet table runner. Give them away as consolation prizes to those who did not win an award.

Have fun and may the next 50 years be just as happy!
Posted by Terri; updated 02/15/06

Wow Teri, Your great!. I love the ideas. I am going to use them all. P.S yes there is a site that from $7 to $35 I can buy replica statues with 3 lines of print. Excellent ideas. Thank you so much.
Posted by Lisa Green; updated 02/15/06

Thanks Lisa
Posted by Terri; updated 02/15/06

Thank you Cheri, those were some cool ideas. I`ll try and see. Thanks
Posted by Lisa Green; updated 02/27/06