Potential Family Problems At My Wedding - Need Advice!

I need advice, please! I`m getting married in 7 days and my mother just informed me of a huge potential family problem. My aunt, who is also my God-mother, may not be attending my wedding because she just found out that I also invited my uncle and God-father to the wedding as well. The problem is that they are divorced & she apparently still really cannot stand him. They`ve been divorced for about 8 years now, and they are both re-married & have moved on with their lives. I honestly didn`t know that she still carried with her so much hatred towards my uncle, and I now regret my choices regarding who I added to the guest list. I`ve been secretly keeping in touch with my uncle now for the past 4 years (we were basically forbidden to see him after the bitter divorce). But now that the dust has settled, I didn`t see any reason why I shouldn`t reunite with him. My mother is really upset about the whole thing, as my aunt now told her that not only would she not be attending the wedding, but also her children (my grown up cousins - both recently married themselves) may also not be attending. My mom & aunt exchanged some heated words, as my aunt was disappointed that I didn`t consult with her before adding my uncle to the guest list. My mom told her that who I invited wasn`t really anyone`s concern other than mine & my fiance`s, especially considering that we are paying for the wedding in its entirety with no help from our families. My mom and my aunt left on really ugly terms and I`m not sure what`s going to unfold now. I`m really worried about what will happen if they don`t attend, but I`m even more worried about what will happen if they DO attend at this point. Will I have to spend my entire wedding day worrying about the behavior of grown adults? Why do people choose weddings as a time to air out a family`s dirty laundry? Why on my day? When my cousins`s got married, my aunt didn`t make a big deal about my uncle attending their weddings, which is why I thought that they let their differences go. Maybe she was just being nice so her children could enjoy their days... Maybe she was just avoiding him. In any event, why can`t she just do the same for me? I`m so stressed about this I can`t sleep. Please... I need some type of advice that will get me through the next 7 days. I don`t want to ruin the best day of life worried sick about the "what ifs" of this potential family fued. Isn`t life too short to be holding on to such deep-rooted hatred after all these years?
Posted by Andrea; updated 09/23/05

I suggest sending a message to your Aunt that you regret that fact that she has chosen not to attend your wedding and will be missed. I would also let her know that you thought she had moved on with her life and whomever you invite is up to you.. This is your day so don`t allow anyone`s petty differences to spoil it for you.. Let them know that they can attend as adults or their presence will be missed...
Posted by Joe Jeselnik; updated 09/24/05