Quinceneara

We are planning a traditional 15th birthday party for our daughter. My husband is from Uruguay. The Uruguay tradition is different than the tradition of Mexico. Any tips for food, decoration etc. Would be appreciated. I also need info to enclose in the invites that explains what the celebration is for all the non-Uruguayans.
Posted by jody miranda; updated 08/23/02

Could you tell a little about Quinceanera from Uruguay? How is different than in Mexico?

When I did my daughter`s quince and my daughter was looking for her damas and chambelans she had trouble because some of her friends were anglos and new nothing about Quinceaneras. So we sent out an announcements to her damas to announce her birthday and ask the girl to be one of her damas, along with the announcement you can put a little bit of history of what Quinceanera is about, I mean Quinceanera in your invitation.
Posted by Helpful; updated 08/24/02

WHAT I NEED IS SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN IT TO ME. MY HUSBAND DOES NOT KNOW THE DETAILS OF OF THE ROOTS OF THE TRADITION.
THE CELEBRATIONS I HAVE READ ABOUT THAT INVOLVED GIRLS OF THE MEXICAN CULTURE REVOLVED AROUND A CHURCH SERVICE AND ARE MUCH MORE RELIGIOUS THAN WHAT I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT THE URUGUAYAN PARTY.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SOME TRADITIONAL FOODS TO SERVE WOULD BE AND WHAT THE SPECIFIC CEREMONIES ARE. I HAVE HEARD OF LINING UP 15 GIRLS AND 15 GUYS AND SHE GOES DOWN THE MIDDLE, PICKING UP FLOWERS AND BLOWING OUT CANDLES AS SHE GOES. THERE IS A DANCE WITH THE FATHER AND GODFATHER.
I WISH I COULD GET AN OUTLINE OF HOW THE NIGHT SHOULD GO. WE HAVE RELATIVES COMING FROM URUGUAY SO I WOULD LIKE IT TO BE AS AUTHENTIC AS I CAN MAKE IT. WE WANT TO PUT AN EXPLANATION IN THE INVITATIONS.
Posted by jody miranda; updated 08/29/02