Civil War Bday Party For 8 Year Old

Need invitation ideas for 8 y.o. Boys Civil War themed birthday party. Party games and activity ideas appreciated, too.
Posted by Prairiemomma; updated 09/12/05

Any ideas for a civil war party for an 8 year old boy?
Posted by Cao; updated 10/13/07

Email me at CMBCrafts2004@aol.com - my brother in law is HUGE in the Civil War Re-enactments, etc. They have ran "civil war" era towns, there wedding was full out Civil War era. I know he can help you with appropriate time period games, etc.

Visit our page for more info: Uniquely Yours Wedding & Party Design

Posted by CONNIE; updated 10/13/07

I just purchased a set of Civil War soldiers papers at http://www.sullivanpress.com/Civil_war.htm#Union_Army_Documents for $6 (incl shipping). I intend the use the draft paper as a templates for the p[arty invitation. There are also pass and furlough papers included, so these could be fun to use during the party. I have more ideas for the party we are planning for my 8 yr old son and hopefully they will post. But if not, email me at kerlin4321@verizon.net
Posted by kerlin; updated 10/29/07

Ok, I think I figured out the problem so here is my reply. My ideas for a civil war party are:
-send each invitee a "draft letter" invitation (see my other post on where to buy a template)
-buy fairly cheap cotton kepis for each partygoer, give them a chance when they RSVP to choose Union or Confederate.
-buy or make simple cotton bag "haversacks" and fill with reproduction currency, "cartridge candy", hardtack (buy or make), dice, jacks or clay marbles, and maybe a "letter from home" or something else that a soldier would have in his haversack. You can buy all these items from sutlers either online or in person if you live near a major battlefield like Gettysburg.I can give you links if you email me at the address in my other reply.
- we are having our party outside, within walking distance of an earthen Civil War fort that kids are allowed to play on. We will have snacks and cake and listen to Civil War music on a boombox and then proceed to the fort. I doubt we will need to worry about organizing games. But if so, Capture the Flag or something like that would be fun.
Have a great party!
Posted by kerlin; updated 10/29/07