What Happens During Church???

I`ve bin to Quinceaneras before but i`ve never bin to the mass my quince iz in may but nobody has explained to me wut happens during church all i know iz that i`ll be crowned and presented a neckles of the virgin mary from my god parents but that`s about it. Can someone pleaze explain to me wut happens during church it would help me alot.
Posted by Silvia; updated 08/21/05

Hi ya im not sure either my quince is next july but when you find out i would appreciate it if you email me at xcick @comcast.net thanks gracias
Posted by christina; updated 08/22/05

Hey guys, i havent had my quince yet but i know that it depends on the church u go to, some church`s have u read things and some dont so it all depends on the chruch, just ask the chruch what they do!
Posted by eirka; updated 08/23/05

The Quince is a type of "rite of passage." In the old days, women were considered of age to be married at 15. This was marked by a grand celebration and "presentation" Nowadays that age is just the middle of adolescence, but we still recognize the importance of a young woman`s dignity and respect for herself. The Mass for Quinceanera is a Mass of Thanksgiving. There are special touches that can be added - it can be made as elaborate or simple as you want*. Just remember that the religious significance of the Mass is to be honored (the Mass is about the Community celebrating what Jesus did and said - the Mass is NOT really about you). Be sure to check with the priest or pastor FIRST and be sure you understand what is appropriate for the Mass and what is not. Many churches have a preparation program, or require you to be part of their local youth group. This is so you can be a part of the community - by socializing and meeting other young people in the church, by serving the community through service projects, and by learning more about prayer and your relationship with God. The most important thing about the Mass is that it represents you and your parents thanking God for your life and blessings, and also to affirm your commitment to be a strong Christian woman in the Church. It is the dedication of your youth to God. The Mexican American Cultural Center (MACC) in San Antonio has some wonderful resources and guides. You can find them on the internet.

*some of the symbols and what they represent:
Crown = the Crown of Life (promised in scripture to all who beleive in Christ)
Birthstone Ring = the tie of commitment to Christ
(sometimes a promise ring or "True Love Waits" ring can be used - to respresent the promise of purity)
Flowers = representing life (usually friends, family, or attendants, will give the Quince 15 flowers total, which are then left at a statue of the Virgin Mary)
Necklace or medal = image of a patron saint (one you are named after) or other saint that is special to the girl and/or her family
Bible = the Word of God (guide for life)
Posted by Michelle B; updated 08/24/05