Help! Grandma`s 70th Birthday, Need Ideas?

Nana`s birthday is Sept 1st and we would love to hear some suggestions. We were interested in possibly doing some sort of theme based on her decade but not really sure where to start. Can someone please share their stories or ideas for planning a 70th birthday? We may have approximately 100 guests.
Thanks in advance!!
Posted by Kristy; updated 07/16/02

Sweetly Unique offers wonderful favors that you can have personalized. They offer over 150 beautiful designs of personalized chocolate bars. Surely, you will find one that matches your party`s theme. Personalize the front and back with your sentiments to your Grandma or friends and family. Thank them for sharing in this joyous day ! Also, check out the matching invitations and announcements. All at very reasonable prices!

Visit our page for more info: Sweetly Unique - Personalized Designs By Leah
Posted by Leah; updated 07/17/02

My Gram is very big on family. For her birthday, we got some big magnetic boards, and asked everyone to send a sampling of great family pictures. We asked for at least one picture of her in the sampling. If the invitee had time, we asked if they would contribute a funny story or fond memory with Gram. She always says she has all the "things" she`d ever need, and although she enjoys recieving cards and photos, gifts are usually returned or passed to someone else. We arranged the photos on the magnetic boards, and compiled all the stories into a binder (we typed everything out, printed on cool papers, and had some of the great-grandkids make some pictures for the front). Additionally, Gram is beginning to lose her vision, so, at the party, we had people record their stories onto an audio tape.
Gram said she never had a better party (it was a two-day affair), and the presents we gave her were the one thing she really needed. Now she can sit and listen to family stories whenever she wants, and hear everyone`s voice.
Hope this helps.
Posted by ini; updated 07/21/02

Thank you all for the ideas!!!
Posted by Kristy; updated 07/22/02

Hi There
My mom`s 70th is in March 2004.
My son is going to draw a huge caracature of mom and display it on the front lawn and also instead of cows or flamingos on the lawn , I am going to buy the nice windmills with wooden sticks from Michaels art store for the front lawn and later give them as a gift to the guests.All friends and family invited and we will be playing 50s music on cds.Also will display picture boards.Lots of time to plan.
Posted by Theresa; updated 08/04/03

How about a singing telegram??? With a song from the 50`s era?????
Doremisingingtelegrams@yahoo.com has some good ideas.
Posted by Juli; updated 08/23/03