Surprise 50th Birthday Party

Hi, Im throwing my mom a surprise 50th birthday party in September. I am quite creative and will make the centerpieces myself, however, i dont want to go with the cheesey `over the hill` or plain black decorations. Anyone have any good ideas ?
Posted by Shannon; updated 07/19/05

We are having a 50th birthday party for my husband on Saturday, and we also did not want the cheesy or jokey over the hill type themes. We went with black, white, and silver as colors and put black and white copies of photos of him growing up and over the years into frames. I purchased some top hat and cane decorations to scatter on the guest tables. We are using black, white, silver curling ribbon and some 50 confetti with candles, the top hats, canes and photos.

For the food table, my daughter covered boxes in black tablecloth material to make pedestals. She made columns out of white corrugated cardboard and twined silk ivy around them to be placed on the ends of the food table. She used small boxes to make top and bottom pedestals on the columns and we will display more framed photos on the top pedestals.

I also am making "tuxedo" choloate dipped strawberries to serve.

We went with a touch of elegance as my husband is a classy fellow and this fit for him.
Posted by Carol; updated 07/21/05