50th Birthday Ideas

I need help, my Mom turns 50 on June 17th, which is also the day of my parents 30th anniversary!
Mom is dead set against a party, and Dad is recovering from a serious back surgery.
How can I make my Mom feel special on this milestone day without making her feel old and fussed over???
-Shamby
Posted by shamby; updated 05/28/02

Take the money that you would have spent on a party and give it to them as a gift. If you still are not happy and want to do something nice. Invite some close friends and family over for a little dinner.
Posted by Liz; updated 04/15/03

What about a weekend away. My kids gave us a package at a hotel that was about 2 1/2hours away. It included dinner in their very nice restaurant and then Sunday Brunch before we checked out Sunday morning. We loved it.Many hotels have packages like that. How about a night at a Bed & Breakfast. You can just search online for weekend get away packages etc. How ours worked was it was a gift certificate for the package that was good for a year and we choose when we wanted to go and called for reservations when we made up our minds. Of course this is with your dad, but you could lso plan something for just you and your mom. Does she like antiques..maybe the two of you could go somewhere theres alot of antique shops and shop all day go to dinner etc. Just spending time with you doing something she likes whould probably be the best gift. I see all kinds of packages these days. There are hotels by us that have scrapbooking getaways....around Mothers day I see packages for daughters and Moms to get away. As a matter of fact a friend of mine and her 3 sisters take their mom for an overnight at a nice hotel for a night. They just have a girls night/day out. Hope this helps!
Posted by Jemmy; updated 04/15/03

I have been thinking about my moms 50th b-day which is on 5/25.. I have come up with the idea of making a scrapbook.. I will start off with pictures of my mom as a baby with her parents.. And then I am going to ask friends and families to send me either pictures of my mom during a special part of her life.. People can send poems or anything they want to.. Then I will have each person give my mom a b-day wish (I will place next to the picture tehy gave me)and I am going to compile all of this in a book.. What do you think? This could be good for your mom because she can reflect on all the wonderful times in her life with family and friends and maybe this will bring her smiles for the next 50 years!!!
Posted by Erin; updated 01/25/04