Maid Of Honor Dress

Is the maid of honor supposed to wear a dress different from the rest of the bridesmaids?
Posted by shayre; updated 05/24/02

I think it looks much more uniform if they are all dressed alike.
Posted by JoAnne; updated 05/25/02

I`m having a similar issue. I actually let my bridesmaids choose their own dresses, I just dictated the color (hunter green). However, my best friend who I wanted as my maid of honor, and who since I was having trouble contacting her I thought was not going to be in the wedding is now going to be in there. My sisters have ordered their dresses, and my maid of honor doesn`t have time to get that color. But she can get one in a lighter green I really like.
Would this look odd?
Thanks!
Posted by Maggie; updated 06/18/02

Maggie..is this like an olive green? if so, that should be fine, but i think when they`re all a dark color it looks much better if they are all the same color.
Posted by mari; updated 06/21/02

Hey.....i am having my maid of honor wear a darker shade of yellow.....this will help her stand out....i am also getting her a larger bouquet to hold.
Posted by Stephanie; updated 07/10/02

Hello, hello...um, just wondering, exactly what does a bridesmaid do!??! Forgive me if this is a very stupid question, but I`ve just been thrust with this new responsibility and am totally clueless. It doesn`t help that I`ve only met my future sister-in-law ONCE (my brother works overseas)
Posted by Seiii; updated 07/22/02

There is a great book called the Guerrilla`s Guide to being a bridesmaid. It is really helpful and lays out the responsibilities of being a bridesmaid
Posted by NC bride; updated 08/28/02

An idea instead of MOH wearing a different color of dress is to have your bridesmaids each carry one certain color in their bouquets and have your MOH carry a bouquet combined with all of their colors. I am doing this and then I am going to carry an all white bouquet.
Posted by Alicia; updated 08/28/02

I am going to be the maid of honor to my cousin and I am interested in a magazine or some kind of catalog.
Posted by Elizabeth; updated 04/17/03

I am having a smiliar crisis. My maid of honor is my sister and I only have one other brides maid.
My sister got her dress back in January, and the other girl didnt order in time and now cannot get the dress.
Would it look stupid for only 2 people up there to have different dresses?
My sisters is black/silver and very uniquie.
I was thinking of putting my other girl in just black.
Any suggesions?

Thanks!
Posted by SHANNON; updated 04/21/03

I let all my bridesmaids choose different dresses in the same color. It looked great because each had a dress that suited their body type, and it made them happy for the same reason. As long as the blacks match, I think your solution would work well. Good luck, in any case!

Maggie
Posted by Maggie; updated 04/22/03

All six of my bridemaids are choosing a different style dress in the same color for the same reason (different body types). I think this is a great idea!

Maggie, did your wedding already pass? How did it look with all of them wearing different dresses? I`ve never been to a wedding where this was done.
Posted by Dana; updated 05/05/03

My wedding was last August, and it looked great! Actually, I much preferred the look to the all-the-same-dress routine. Much more interesting to look at, while at the same time, coordinated enough to look nice in the pictures. I guess it was something like musical groups who wear not-quite-matching outfits. I was thrilled with the overall effect!

Maggie
Posted by Maggie; updated 05/06/03

Hello,
Im going to be a moh to my best friend but the problem is I have back acne that I dont want to have shown and she said I can have what ever dress I want. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a website or place to look at some moh dresses that have a back and sleeves either short or long? We can`t seem to find anything but thin straps or no straps and can`t find one wwith sleeves!!
Please email me if anyone can help!
Im thankful for your help!!
Thanks,
Marisa
Posted by Marisa; updated 09/11/03

Dont forget to the girl with the issues about the dresses with no backs you can always wear a shaw or your hair down there is always an accessory that can help you you just need to shop around
Posted by chelsea; updated 10/06/03

Hello, it seems everyone has had the same question that I do which is. If you let bridesmaids pick their dress do you limit them as far as length, or fabric? I ask becuase my bridal party is spread out, and I want there to be some unity (color particularly). I prefer Tee, above or below knee length for them. #2. Should MOH be within the same confines? This all might sound silly but I`m just curious.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Kisha
Posted by kisha; updated 01/29/06

You should set the length according to what you feel comfortable with, I think. For my wedding, I let all of the bridesmaids choose their own style, including the MOH. The only restriction I gave them was color. Not surprisingly, considering the differing body types of the women, each chose a different dress and it looked very nice in the pictures and ect. You needn`t have different dress parameters to differentiate your MOH--you can always distinguish her through different flowers and jewelry (this is what I did, and again, I found that it worked out well.) Of course, it`s going on the fourth year since I`ve been married, so perhaps my advice is out of date.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Posted by Maggie; updated 02/10/06

I have seen many weddings lately were the weddign party each wears a different dress. Normally, they are a similar length and color so there is some unity. They don`t neceessarly have to be the same color though. The last wedding I attended had 5 girts - 2 wore taupe colored dresses, two had taupe with chocolate colored sashes and the MOH had a chocolate color. It was beautiful and much less boring then then normal blob of color that a large wedding party can create.
Posted by Crystal; updated 02/15/06