Quincenera/Sweet Sixteen

What do you think is the difference between a quincenera and a sweet sixteen?
Posted by Nadia; updated 03/03/02

I am very familiar with all of the traditions of a Quince Anos and I have tons of information. I am sure I can answer any questions that you have. You can email me at crysss1313@hotmail.com with any information needed. Good luck with the party, and if there are any questions what so ever, email me!
Posted by Crystal; updated 04/03/02

Who the HELL cares!!! LOL
Posted by Stephanie; updated 09/09/02

Hey well my Sweet sixteen is in a year but i want to have a cord.but i need alot of help on the dresses and on my dress too.can you plz help me .Write me back!thanks alot
Posted by victoria; updated 11/25/03

Well there isnt a difference between a sweet sixteen and a quinceanera its just that most hispanics celebrate the girls party at 15. Its mostly seen in puerto rico, D.R, florida AND other spanish places but here in america we celebrate it at 16. Its just a translation...
Posted by vanessa; updated 12/01/03

A Quincenera is when u turn 15 and if u cum form a hispanic heritage u celebrate when u turn 15 not 16
Posted by Krissy; updated 01/03/04

You can celebrat both or just one but most mexican girls celabrte a quinceanera unless they didn`t plan in time then they have a sweet 16!!!!!!!!!
Posted by mandi; updated 01/07/05

I don`t really think there is a diffrence just that white people do sweet 16 and mexicans or hispanics do Quincenera
Posted by marisol; updated 03/03/05

Qinceneras are for real mexicans and sweet 16 is for black & white people but the real point is to have fun
Posted by lil nena; updated 03/03/05

Not all blacks celeberate at 16 some celebrate at 15 i noe cuz some of my friends who are black celebrate there quinces
Posted by La Mexicanita; updated 03/03/05

A Quinceanera (in the tradition of it) is for Mexicans and other Hispanics, it started out with the Aztec Indians and the Mexicans picked up the tradition and changed it a little, Sweet 16`s are for EVERYONE, not just white, black. Hispanics have them, Indians have them and even Asians have them. The difference is that the Quince is a tradition, there is a wonderful religious service dedicating the young lady to the Lord and guiding her in the steps so that she knows and honors him. A Sweet 16 can have all of those things but it is really on the lines of having a coming out party, contillion or debutante ball. It was a way of announcing to society that your daughter is at the age for marriage and family. Today the tradition has changed as women are now allowed to be educated. There is no longer the announcing to society and having the special family gathering it is a celebration of a girl becomming a young woman. Quinceaneras have held their traditions and that is what makes them wonderful.
Posted by Justine; updated 03/03/05

Hi everyone! well Im 14 years old and im going to have a sweet 15 pary mexican style. But the thing is is is so hard to plan a quincenera. I reaaly need help. My B- day is on Nov.30 , But im doing my quinces until next year on january or february. If anyone out there is kind enough to help me with steps and ideas for my quinces email me atlady05luv@yahoo.com thankz!
Posted by Lucy; updated 09/25/05

Yeah sweet sixteens are hor white people like me and quinceanera ar for hispanics but i think that white people can celebrate quinceaneras and hispanics can celebrate sweet sixteen. Cause my birthday is january and i am shorta having a quinceanera
Posted by Lisa; updated 10/05/05

Hi you guys im having a sweet sixteen october 2006 and i really need help planning it and ideas for a theme and stuff please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have no clue were to begin all i`ve done so far is the quest list for who i want to come, but the problem is that i have a twin sister so we both need to agree, she is sort of a tom-boy and im real girly.
Posted by natasha; updated 12/20/05

MY FRIEND HAD A STAND DONE WITH HER NAME FOR CANDLE CEREMONY. IT WAS REALL NICE
CHECK OUT:
HTTP://HOME.ATT.NET/~VCRUZADO
Posted by Tashy; updated 12/20/05

Quincenera are 4 mexicans only
Posted by maria; updated 01/20/06

I dont think it matters who celebrates a quincenera or a sweet 16, just as long as you have fun on your special day.lol. I might have a quincenera of my own, but we still dont have a yes. If i have one it will be small, less than 50 people. My parents dont want to go all out. But thats okay.I dont need a huge one.If i have one my Birthday is in early July, so my Mom thinks its tooo early to start planning.lol. Good luck to all who areplanning a quincenera and sweet 16!!weather your hispanic or latin,white ,black,asian or whatever, just have fun! :)Michelle:)
Posted by Michelle; updated 01/28/06

I think the whole concept of a Quincenera or Sweet Sixteen is lost. It used to stand for "Purity" - a virgin celebrating her purity and offering herself in front of the Virgin Mary as being pure! Today, it`s a show. Who outdoes whom!
Posted by annonymous; updated 01/31/06

Well, Im a mixture...and I had both !! So...I say just enjoy urselves !!
Posted by Shyna; updated 03/12/06

Hey I seen that you now all the info about quinces bt im having a sweet 16.. Well its sorta like a quince but im just turning 16 well all the girls and guys in your group are the girls suppose to have he same color dress as you oR a lighter color for instince i am doing my colors navy blue and sliver what color dress do the girls wear! my dress is navy blue with sliver sequences!! please help me i dnt no what to do! br> SIGNED,HELPP I DNT NO WHAT TO DO! =)(ADRIA)
Posted by Adria; updated 02/10/09