Young Couple With No Money!! Please Help!

My fiance and I are both very young- he is in the military and 21, and I am an 18 year-old full time sophomore in college. Needless to say, we have NO MONEY! Our parents will help, but his don`t have much money to spare (4 kids left in the house!) and mine are spending all of thier money on my education. I need some cost-cutting ideas for a simple, but elegant daytime wedding next May. I don`t even know where to start! How much are churches? Reception sites? Do we HAVE to have a meal catered? Or could we just do snacks (and fancy them up a bit, of course)? I don`t know anything about planning a wedding, and his parents and mine both eloped! (Which is a possibility that we are not ruling out!) Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Posted by Lauren; updated 12/21/04

I know where youre comming from my fience and I are young also and getting married in Feb. Our parents are very helpful but we dont want them to spend a lot of money. What I have done to save is ... I got my dress at a bridal expo they usually have give aways and huge sales on their normally high priced dresses... For invites I went to office max and made them myself it was a lot of work but worth it... For flowers and decorations I went to craft stores and chose single stemed flowers that are in season for the bridesmaids and am planning to do a lot of shopping after the hollidays for the sales (candles lights etc.) If you need any more Ideas write back
Posted by julie; updated 12/21/04

To cut cost, try a justice of the peace, a small chapel or even a gazebo in the park. Usually there are beautiful parks with flowering areas and a gazebo where you can have a wedding and even a picnic area. Have everyone in the family get together, maybe a few uncles who can cook on grills and don`t mind, have the women folk get together and buy sternos, burners, and cook veggies and casseroles, buy salad mixes and add tomatoes, cucumbers, a salad mix pack and make large salads. Have a few people make seafood salads, pasta salads and desserts. You can buy a beautiful cake from your local grocery store like a Pathmark, Acme and put fresh flowers on them. There are a few places online where you can type in cheap gowns and find bridesmaids gowns and wrap included for $50. You can find local shops to buy a gown at discount. Go to an AC Moore or a Michaels craft store and learn how to make favors, bouquets and centerpieces. They will show you how to make a few and you can buy the items to make the rest. Find students at your college who are in video and photography and give them a start. Hire them to video and photo your wedding. Students have the honor of using the school`s lab and you won`t be charged a lot of money. Have music downloaded onto a few CD`s and play music. Buy wedding violin or string quartet music for the ceremony and use the natural background for the decorations. Usually your local parks have clean port a pottys or even bathrooms. You will also have a chance for electricity for light. Put white tablecloths on the tables, decorate the tables with artificial flower petals and put the centerpieces in the middle. Have people blow bubbles at you while you are dancing and put them next to your favors. I have seen beautiful champagne glasses at the dollar store and you can have an artist from school decorate them with your initials or you can use rub on transfers and fill them with gold coin chocolates or kisses. Decorate the base with a wine glass charm (make them yourself). If you want more help from long distance, leave your e-mail address and tell me more details of your ideas and I will help you as much as possible for you to have the wedding that looks like the stars!
Posted by Mika; updated 12/25/04

Depending on where you live prices are different.
There are ways of cutting back though. Have a friend take pictures, have either a buffet or have people help in making food, have a friend make a cake, buy your dress during a really good sale or have a friend make it.
There are a lot of good ways to cut back on expenses. Just depends on what kind of a wedding you want and how big.
Posted by Becky; updated 12/29/04

Dear Young coulpe with no money Please Help!

One of the cost reducing factors for you to work around your budget limitations would be to have a wedding breakfast. This way you marry around nine in the morning, and have a beautiful breakfast reception. This is one of the ways that you can avoid all alchol costs, because at that time of the morning who consumes alchol. The food is limited to a breakfast, and this does away with starters and main courses, etc which all cost a fortune. The only cost would be the champagne for the toast. Champagne breakfasts, are very popular. You can also use on line invites, and avoid printing costly invitations and answering and reply service. A simple email, with a yes or no reply. To keep costs down even further you can confine the guests to close family and a few friends. A beautiful breakfast could be held anywhere! Indoors or out. Instead of centrepieces and flower costs, one daisy in a small vase, surrounded by candles. Yes, candles are used in the day, to create good atmosphere. Record a playlist of your first dance and then music for the next two hours, and you are done with the music problems. Have a member of the family do the photos. Most of the photos are the natural ones that tell the true story. If you are not very strict about religious ceremonies you could ask your minister to come to you, and that will also rule out the cost of transportation for bride and groom to and from.

Hope this helps. It certainly can keep costs to a minimum.
You can make it a high tea, and it will be very special without any costs.
Posted by diane; updated 10/22/11