Excellent But Reasonably Priced Photography

My fiancee and I are getting married on the northern California coast, and we`re looking for referrals on great-but-still-affordable photographers. Most of them in the Bay Area seem to be over $2-3K, or are lower priced but have mediocre portfolios. I keep thinking to myself that there HAVE to be some excellent wedding photographers that don` t charge an arm and a leg. Am I crazy?
Posted by Ben Cook; updated 01/23/02

Ben-

As a professional disc jockey who works a lot of weddings with various wedding vendors, I can honestly state that you will be hard pressed to find a a quality wedding photographer for under $2000. There are some for less, but as you have seen, the portfolios are not always impressive. It amazes me how many people will save $500.00 by hiring a photgrapher for $1500.00 or less and then be unhapy with the results. $1500.00 is a lot of money so spend only to be unsatisfied with their work. I highly recommend spending $2000.00 and hiring a photographer who uses a mediium format camera for the formal pictures as well as a majority of the casuals. Wedding vendors are like any other pofessionals that have a rate schedule that coincides with the quality of their work and experience. Those that are established have become so by consistently delivering a top-notch product or service and generally provide high levels of customer service. A very high percentage of wedding vendors who are at the top of the price scale within their industry are extremely commited to their businesses.

I certainly advise you to shop around but I just hate when I hear a horror story from a nice person who wanted to save a few dollars. If you are getting married in the San Jose Bay Area, I may be able to give you a referral that is between $1800.00 and $2200.00. E-mail me at vtram99@aol.com if you are interested.

Good luck and contratulations!
Posted by Vince; updated 02/17/02

Are you from IL?
Posted by chariya; updated 12/08/04