DO NOT REGISTER AT TARGET!

I have to post my disappointment in Target. First off, we did them a favor by registering with them and we get screwed over??? Not a good thing.

We received 2 items that were broken from our Target registry. Ofcourse there were no gift receipts with those gifts. We figure since we don`t want money back, we want to exchange for the same item or get a store credit, they should have no problem... Well we were wrong....

We told them what we would like to do, and one of the managers throws us attitude about how their policy changed TODAY and that there was absolutely nothing they could do for us. We were livid... They were damaged goods and we expressed our unhappiness with their NEW policy and demanded that we talk to the store manager.... Who after another headache was able to take one of the items back, but couldn`t take the other back because it was over $10. So now we are stuck with a lamp that has a manufacturer defect sitting in a box in our garage. Total crap!

I don`t understand Target, you would think that they would want to keep customers happy, especially ones who brought them so much business. They probably don`t realize that there are plenty of stores out there that care about keeping satisfied customers.

So, to sum it up....
AVOID THE LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE AND HEADACHE AND DO NOT REGISTER AT TARGET!!!
Posted by Coco; updated 11/02/01

I love Target. I am registered there and have nothing but good things to say about them. Besides a major department store, where else can you possibly register-----wally World (Wal-Mart) PUHLEASE!!!, don`t even get me started with them!
Posted by Michelle; updated 01/24/02

Coco makes a good point...recently, Target has begun to change their policies and have started giving people a hard time....Why have the headache? Places like Macy`s may be more expensive, but the hassle you save could be well worth it. There are many moderate priced goods at Macy`s...you just have to look! Also, I know that bigger dept. Stores will honor sale prices on your guests` registery, if you pick it out while it is on sale!
Posted by Kathryn; updated 01/28/02

There are plenty of places to register without having to resort to going to Walmart. (Thank goodness I didn`t JUST register at Target!) Bed Bath and Beyond proved to have wonderful customer service--They went above and "beyond" the call of duty with us by calling ALL of the stores in the area trying to locate all of our dishes. They give a 10% off coupon to use after your wedding if you want to finish off your registry too. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Also, don`t forget about places like Linen and Things, Williams-Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn..... Department stores.... Plenty of places!

By the way, I wish all of you that have registered at Target luck and I hope that you don`t run into the same problems that I did.
Posted by Coco; updated 01/31/02

If you really liked the lamp you could call the manufacture and get them to replace it for you. I worked at a retail store and we had people do it all the time if we were unable to get another one for them.
Posted by FaMitah; updated 02/06/02

I agree. Target is not the place to register. They don`t keep up with the registry and you are likely to get the same items multiple times.
Posted by Amber; updated 02/06/02

Coco,

I agree that Target is not the place to register. Their new policy is a little overboard when customer service is supposed to be the key. Especially when it is a registry - if the store doesn`t keep it up then you are bound to get duplicates - that is not your fault or the person`s fault who got the gifts for you. There are a lot of other choices as you said.
I wouldn`t pay any attention to this "John" Apparently he didn`t read where it says that "This message board is rated G." Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you don`t have to be mean to make a point. Bride`s are under enough stress as it is.
Posted by Heather; updated 02/28/02

Hi-
I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with Target. I work at the service desk at a Target store and it was very difficult seeing people get turned away for things that were more than $10. But now, the policy has changed again and it is much more accomadating. If you registered for it then it will be returned, no questions asked. You can also exchange anything that is defective for the same item or one like it. I hope that this info helps you out and you are able to get a new lamp.
Posted by Angie; updated 03/04/02

I`m just curious why Wal-Mart is a "last resort". What is sad is that everyone is focusing on how much money is being spent and who is buying who what. If you ask me, Target is no better that Wal-Mart, or Macy`s better than Target. It seems completely rediculous that this is everyone`s main concern now. The focus should be taken off the gifts and put back on to the bride and groom.
Posted by Amanda; updated 03/05/02

Hi Angie,
Wow, I am really glad to hear that policy is changing for the better for those who have registered at Target. I have a friend with a wedding coming up that registered at Target, and I am so glad for her, that if she has to return something from her registry she will be worked with, rather than turned away! That is really good to hear!!!

And Amanda, people register when getting married and I just wanted to provide my experiences. If you are not going to register, than good for you, maybe you could ask that if your guests want to buy you something they should offer a donation to a charity! I have heard that many people are very eager to do that, and you could be help the less fortunate too. Good luck to you!
Posted by Coco; updated 03/08/02

I agree. I was originally going to register with Target but when I did for my baby shower, it went all wrong. They didn`t take anything off of the registery as people bought them. Everything I got we a repeate, and the guest were so dissappointed as I opened them and someone had bought the same thing.
Posted by Amy; updated 03/10/02

Please pass this on to your friends and family at work if you are not getting married.

DawnTilDusk Professional Makeup Inc in Nutley NJ is in between films and is looking to take on 20 - 30 weddings. Our normal rate is $100.00 however at this time our services are available to you at $60.00,a nice discount so you can save money and still go on that luxury honeymoon that you want to.

Contact us or have your friends and family contact us at 1 877 DAWN TIL DUSK.
Posted by Russ Park; updated 03/10/02

COCO-
I realize that people register when they are getting married and that it is "tradition". I wasn`t telling you that you were wrong for doing so, or that you should have had people make donations. I think that this is just a sad post, people are going to register where they want to regardless of what you tell them. And GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!
Posted by Amanda; updated 03/11/02

I am so sorry about what has happened with your bridal register with Target. However. I am a bridal consultant and I am always in and out of Target, I may be able to help you. What State are you in? Im in Calif. In the city of Riverside. I am not a strange person, only a bridal consultant that would love to help you. My first question, who is the manufacturer of your lamp, and can you contact them directly? They may be able to assist you, also Target has a corporate office that is very concerned about customer service. I would contact them, you can find them on line. Don`t give up, Take the lamp out of your garage bring it into the house and check it out for leads to getting your issues resolved. Let me know if that helps if not, you can reach me at (909) 272-8289. I am not interested in getting personal, or anything strange, only in helping if I can. Maybe when it is resolved you will tell someone that Val with Exquisite Weddings helped and pass on the phone number. :-)

Visit our page for more info: Exquisite Weddings By Val
Posted by Val; updated 03/11/02

You should move on. It happens to everyone. Why do you think you are any different than us? Get over it.
Posted by private; updated 03/11/02

I totally concur about not registering at Target. My husband and I received a $100 telephone (that had a clearance tag on the box for $69.99) from our registry that had been USED - it was scratched and dirty, and had four names and numbers on the CallerID! It obviously was returned. Target no longer carried the phone, and refused to give a refund without a receipt - even though our registry showed that the phone had been purchased, and that we only wanted $69.99 back rather than the $100. They wanted a receipt no matter what. That`s rather embarrassing: "Hi, the gift you gave me was in bad shape and had been used. Can I have the receipt? Or better yet, why don`t you take it back for me?" Total BS - I`ll never make a large purchase at Target again, particularly when IT WAS TARGET`S FAULT FOR PUTTING THE DAMAGED PHONE BACK ON THE SHELF. But if we have any other problems with Target (ha ha)...my mother wrote down the names and numbers from the CallerID and plans to call them and tell them what Target did...
Posted by J; updated 03/17/02

Buy a new lamp that is the same as the broken one and take the broken one back with the new receipt.
Posted by Evie; updated 03/18/02

Hello... My fiancee and I registered at Target, as well as Marshall Fields, but after reading your disappoint ment, what store would you reccommend? Would Marshall Fields still be alright?
Posted by Andrea; updated 03/20/02

Andrea,

I have some friends who registered at Marshall Field`s and they said they had no problem. They said that if you registered for it, all you had to do is bring it back (even without a reciept or a gift reciept). They had two weddings, one in IL and one in TX and registered at Dillards as well. They were able to take things back to MF that they got at Dillards since it was on their registry and advised us to make sure that we register for the same thing in the place we live so that we could have this option. So, I think MF should be fine.
Posted by Evie; updated 03/22/02

Evie ~
Thanks a lot for the advice, it really helped... I think maybe we will register at MF still, but choose another store in place of Target. The only reason why we registered at Target is because we have some family members that can not afford things at MF, and also my fiancee works for the Target Corporation, so it includes Target AND MF...
Thanks again for your advice!
Posted by Andrea; updated 03/23/02

Andrea,

Perphaps you could try Bed, Bath and Beyond, or Linens N Things. They are both fairly inexpensive but nice quality things and they have a registry there. Also, for basic things you could also register at Crate and Barrel. A little more expensive, but mainly for the furniture. After all, this is your ONE and ONLY time to get this nice gifts. Live it up!!! Take your chances. Register for EVERYTHING your little heart desires. The worst that could happen???? You don`t get it. Why not take the chance, you just may be surprised!!!!

Also, if you are interested, come join us at www.weddingtalkers.com
Posted by Evie; updated 03/25/02

Brilliant Evie...you sound like my kind of shopper...that is generally what I do whenever something breaks or wears out !!!
Posted by Ken; updated 03/25/02

Thanks Ken! Glad I am not the ONLY one who thinks this way! It is amazing how much hassle and headaches you can save!
Posted by Evie; updated 03/25/02

I think that Target`s bridal registry is very confusing and difficult to deal with. It took us almost an hour to use that stupid little scan gun properly (and this is from a technichian and a Dr.) I also do not like is that Target does not let you update things on-line... It is amazing that in this day and age any major company would not give people that option.
Posted by Lyn; updated 04/10/02

I haven`t had time to ACTUALLY look at this site, but it sounds pretty good to me. Anyone try it yet???

If you register at www.TheThingsIWant.com you can add the browser button and add gift ideas from any site including Crate&Barrel, PotteryBarn - anywhere. Then Share the list with whomever you want. You can then track who bought what. Good luck with everything!
Posted by Evie; updated 04/11/02

I used thethingsiwant.com for my bridal registry and Christmas list. It`s brilliant. It`s great because you`re not tied to any single store or site. I didn`t get everything I asked for, but what I did get was exactly right.
Posted by Jane Nieves; updated 04/12/03

You know, I just read all of these and JOHN You didn`t have to be sooo mean. I think that was pure rudeness...if i read it wrong please let me know.. I personally see nothing wrong with Wal-Mart. Ours here in NC is WONDERFUL. Their gift registries are their top priority. I know I used them as well as Belks, and Macy`s etc...However I also live in a country town. I live way far out in the middle of no where and my only neighbors are family.
Posted by Heather; updated 04/13/03

WOW! I cannot believe some of the rude replies to this lady`s post. She is just stating her opinion to help others. I personally hate target myself. I worked there as a teenager and know all their stupid policies! They have gone down in quality and up in price. Personally I think they are too trendy for crap products. If you don`t like what someone has to post then simply move on!!!!!!!
Posted by Nikki; updated 04/18/03