Kaufman`s Wedding World

FYI for all your brides who are still waiting for your gowns from Kaufmans;

Pennsylvania Attorney General Pappert Sues PA Bridal Shop Owners; Special Injunction Filed to Freeze Assets and Retrieve Bridal Gowns and Wedding Party Apparel From Closed Stores

HARRISBURG, Pa., Sept. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Attorney General Jerry Pappert today filed a civil lawsuit and Special Injunction against the owners of a Blair County bridal business that officially closed their Pennsylvania stores before delivering the bridal gowns and wedding party apparel that dozens of customers purchased for their upcoming weddings.

The injunction asks the court to freeze the defendants` assets, release all purchased on-site merchandise to consumers and prohibit the defendants from removing other goods, merchandise or inventory from the stores` premises. The defendants operate locations in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio and West Virginia and claim to be reorganizing their business.

Pappert identified the defendants as Weddingstore, Inc., doing business as Kaufman`s Wedding World, 4807 Penn Wood Drive, Altoona, Blair County, Harry and Margaret Kaufman and Ira Kaufman individually and doing business as Kaufman`s Wedding World 1301 11th Ave., Altoona. The lawsuit accuses the defendants of numerous violations of Pennsylvania`s Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law.

According to investigators, the defendants closed their Pennsylvania shops without delivering all consumers` pre-paid merchandise including bridal gowns, wedding party apparel, occasional dresses and other bridal accessories. In some cases, consumers do not have the items that they ordered and purchased from the defendants for their weddings scheduled to take place this weekend.

"In this case, an immediate injunction was necessary to ensure that consumers getting married this weekend receive possession of their bridal gowns and wedding party apparel," Pappert said. "We`re asking the court to require the defendants to remain open until the immediate needs of these particular consumers are met. In addition, we`re seeking an order freezing the defendants` assets and prohibiting them from removing any items or inventory from the closed stores unrelated to consumers` orders."

Pappert said his Bureau of Consumer Protection has received complaints from consumers throughout Pennsylvania who claimed that the defendants failed to honor the promised delivery dates for their bridal gowns and wedding party dresses and other apparel. In some instances, consumers said the items were either never delivered or delivered well beyond the date agreed upon in their contracts. In other instances, consumers received items that they did not order or that were of a lesser quality.

"Several consumers told my office that they were forced sometimes days before their weddings to make other arrangements for their bridal gowns and bridesmaids` apparel," Pappert said. "Many others complained that the dresses were delivered too late to be professionally altered. In our view, this is an unacceptable business practice and the allegations are particularly egregious given that the victims are consumers preparing for their weddings."

Other complaints included claims that the defendants failed to respond to consumers` questions and concerns regarding their refund requests. The defendants allegedly failed to refund consumers in a timely manner despite promises to return their money promptly or in a specific time period.

Pappert said the lawsuit asks the court to require the defendants to:

-- Pay full restitution to consumers who file complaints with the Bureau

Of Consumer Protection.

-- Pay civil penalties of $1,000 per violation and $3,000 for each

Violation involving a consumer age 60 or older.

-- Satisfy all outstanding orders currently in their possession.

The lawsuit also asks the court to appoint a receiver to determine and collect the defendants` assets to satisfy the court`s order.

The lawsuit and Special Injunction was filed in Commonwealth Court. The case is being handled by Senior Deputy Attorney General Seth A. Mendelsohn of Pappert`s Bureau of Consumer Protection in Harrisburg.

Deputy Press Secretary

1-717-787-5211

SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
Posted by Jan; updated 09/09/04

I am wating for my dress from Kaufmans. I have tried to contact the company and have gotten no response. I feel i have been cheated. THe owners of this company are such scum to have taken the most special day of my life a wrecked it for me and so many other brides. I just want to know if any of the stores are open still. I will drive as far as it takes to get the dress.
Posted by jennifer; updated 10/06/04