Quinceanera Etiquette

I`m attending the Quinceanera of my fiance`s neice in two weeks. I`m not Catholic or Hispanic, so this tradition isn`t part of my heritage. As a result, I don`t know all that much about how they *really* are these days. I haven`t attended one in over 15 years.

I would like to know what the appropriate attire would be. I have a black suit that hints at a casual, feminine version of a tuxedo, but I don`t know if that`s acceptable. Also, is it appropriate for me to give her a gift? If so, what would a fringe almost-relative like myself give to her?

She`s a wonderful girl and I would hate to embarrass myself or my fiance by not being prepared.

Thanks in advance!
Posted by Angie; updated 07/06/04

Well for starters , the attire is semi -formal , somtimes just plain formal . It depends on what the party is like . What i would reccomend is wear a nice dress it can be any color and heels . For the gift , you can buy her a nice perfume or a bath set . And if all else fail the one thing accepted anywhere : money . Hope this helps .
Posted by carla; updated 07/06/04

Yeah just think of it as a big birthday party!
U don`t have to go dressed too fancy u can even change after church if u have time. For a gift just get her somthing u know she`ll like or something girly (depends if she is girly)lol,
Have fun!
Posted by monica; updated 07/06/04