Newman Decor Inc

I have 2 Newman Decor paintings. Both airbrushed. One is of 2 zebras copywritten 1939 signed by Kayand of a leopard copywritten 1952 signed by Sue. I know nothing about these and I would like to know how much they are worth. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Nick; updated 06/12/04

Nick....I don`t know the exact worth of your prints, but I can tell you they are going up in value since I started colleting the "Newman Decor" prints a few months ago. It appears that they are done by several artists. I have a few that are "HARRIS" and "Peters. Mine are florals with the exception of one that is of deer (HARRIS). I sure would like the mate to that one. I got all of mine on eBay. Hope you get this message, as you posted yours a month ago.
Posted by Peg; updated 09/11/04

I just discovered 2 prints that say Newman Decor copyright 1941 signed by HARRIS. They are florals one is a Tiger Lily, the other is a Petunia-like flower, peaches and cream colors, with a silver background. I got them both for $8.00 at an estate sale. It appears they are airbrushed perhaps, they are soooo beautiful. I have not been able to find info on these either. Will post if I do.
Posted by Sue; updated 10/10/04

Sue, you got a GREAT deal ($8.00) on your prints. Go to eBay and see what they are selling for.
Posted by Peg; updated 10/15/04

Thanks, but there was not a thing on ebay under newman decor or harris newman decor. I will keep checking
Posted by Sue; updated 10/15/04

Sue..At eBay under the "Art" catagory search "harris". Make sure to check the search title and description field also. There are a pair up for auction right now starting at $50.00 if my memory serves me right. I have a harris print like one of yours....poppy print. However, I think my frame is different.
Posted by Peg; updated 10/15/04

Thanks Peg, indeed that`s the person that did mine. My frames are not bamboo, about the same color with small etched marks crossing the frame, sort of a taupe color, however they are original because the backs on these were original, unfortunately torn a bit so the glass was dirty and a spider met its death in inside the glass, there also was some water damage to just the matting thank goodness. I had to remove most the paper backing to clean them up. Thanks for all the good info. I really did get a great deal!
Posted by Sue; updated 10/17/04

Hi there, Newman Decor (ND) was an interior design business in NYC. I understand they had a staff of artists who created paintings for decorators. That`s about all I have been able to learn. I tried to learn more because I have 2 ND watercolors by their staff artist, "Harris." I have them listed on ebay. Good luck with finding more. I`d love to know more, too!
Posted by Dianne; updated 12/18/04

Dianne...thanks for the info on Newman Decor. I found only 1 listing on eBay for Harris prints. Must be yours?? Floral w/out frames?? It`s a shame they don`t have the orginal frames. I would be interested if they did!
Posted by Peg; updated 12/18/04

Hi Peg, Maybe the listings were not posted yet when you checked. The titles are "Art Deco Harris Watercolor" (or something close to that). They are floral/still life paintings in their original "faux bamboo" etched frames. Copyright 1941. They`re beautiful & mint. Thanks for your interest! Dianne
Posted by Dianne; updated 12/18/04

Nick and Peg, I have a Newman Decor airbrushed and watercolar floral painting by Peters copyrighted 1942. I am very interested, as you are, to learn more about the artists. I have had mine examined by an expert who said that this is a piece of what was refered to as "sofa art" during this time period and there may have been somewhat of an assembly line production tectnique with more than one individual working on each piece. This is all that I know at this time.
Posted by larry; updated 12/27/04

Hey, thanks Larrry. You have provided more good info. These prints do tend to look as though they are an "assembly line" product now that you mention it. Maybe it is the last artist that paints that gets to sign them?? ;-) I bet the Bernard & Turner prints are done the same way?? Happy New Year!
Posted by Peg; updated 12/27/04

I have two pictures in the original frames by Newman Deco Inc 1941. The pictures are of young women in hats holding bouquets of flowers. The colors are soft shades of blue, grey, green and mauve. The signature on the picture is Susan. Any idea of how much they are worth. I didn`t see much on e-bay.
Posted by Liz; updated 01/02/05

Liz..Have no idea what they are worth, as these ND prints go from high to low when it comes to price. I do, however, feel that they are not worth what some folks are starting the bid on ebay. If you watch, as I do daily, you will see the ones that start high do not get bids. I think that "Susan" did the lady prints. I have not seen any floral or animal prints done by "Susan." Not yet anyway.
Posted by Peg; updated 01/02/05

Hi I would be interested in seeing a picture of the ebra painting. We had a similar sounding painting in my home when I was growing up. I was, however, sure it was "Van" Thank you
Posted by Steve; updated 07/02/09

I believe I have that same zebra picture. Do you have any idea of its worth? We are cleaning out my mother`s basement and I offered to take it away as I have a friend to collects zebras. Then I noticed it was signed by Kay. So I`d like to know its value before I offer it up.
Posted by Cindy; updated 07/02/09

I have a floral and bird print signed by Adams with the ND info on the back.

Posted by Lyn; updated 08/12/09

The worth of a painting like that..the one I know of was painted on a metallic cardboard... Depends on the style, condition, beauty, size, frame...it can range between $75-$200 retail, in my opinion.
If you want to send a photo I can tell more. Steve
Posted by Steve; updated 08/13/09

I have two newman decor airbrush water colors signed by mathews. Just cleaning out the attic and there they were. Some folks looked at them and thought they were not worth much since they are airbrushed but it looks like from this site they may have some value. Are certain artists more valuable than others? What are they worth with original frames no damage to pictures??
Posted by AL; updated 11/09/09

I have two Genuine Watercolor airbrush paintings by Harris. The number is 1409 and the company on the label on back is Newman Decor Inc. N.Y.C. They have been handed down from my grandmother to my mom and now I have them. They are not really my taste. They are a floral and are in the original frames. The paper on back is torn here and there but the paintings look in good condition. Does anyone know what they might be worth or is anyone interested in them? I can send pictures of them if anyone wants to see them.
Posted by cyndy; updated 03/14/11

I just purchased a ND Watercolor by Harris today at an Estate Sale. It is of "The Brevort" . . . The best I can find is that it`s possibly of the American Paris Club in New York? Can anybody help me identify this painting?
Posted by Brian; updated 07/30/11