Im Not Catholic. Wut Insted Of A Mass?

Im not cathlic, so i`m going to have a mass. Wut should i do insted of a mass? i don`t think the people at my church have even ever herd of a quinceanera
Posted by quince girl; updated 06/09/04

Ok not trying 2 b rude but can u guys not post thank you`s and stuff like that on this site because every time u do i get a mail saying i have a new mesage on the site and i have to go through typing in the site and scrolling down and haveing to read almost all the posts to try and find the new one! thanks and like i said im not trying to be rude. Thanks
Posted by quince girl; updated 06/09/04

We are not catholic either, but we wanted the ceremony to be the most important aspect of the quience party. So instead (which I have been working so hard on with our daughter) we will have a very short ceremony with our pastor officiating. We will emphasize the gifts and their meanings to everyone. We will have different people from our church read various scripture on how Jesus Christ instructs us to keep our bodies pure and to be in obedience to his word, We are also going to give our daughter a sterling silver ring to symbolize her oath to be a Godly Woman, and to remind her that she will always have us. We are also doing the shoe ceremony and special father/daughter dance at the hall after the ceremony/ dinner at the hall. There are so many things that go with the quience, but I truely believe that you can TWEEK it to your personal taste and needs. The most important thing is to enjoy this special day, celebrate your culture and not be ashame of it. With our daughters we are the only puerto ricans in the area and its very comforting that they want to share their heritage with their friends and family and feel so comfortable in doing so. Good luck and let me know how things are going. If I can be of help to you just email me. This is a bit new to me also. :)
Posted by Mom; updated 06/11/04

Ok thanks u really helped me out alot and wuts ur E-mail address? and im puerto rican too. Do u know if there is any difference fro a puerto rican quince and a mexican one? if so wut r they? and i red some where that u can have like a flower girl and like a candle lighting serimony? but it didnt really say the meanings do u know wut they r? they said that the candle thing. There was like acandle for every year of the quinceanera`s life or somthing? but anyway thank you.
Posted by quince girl; updated 06/12/04

You asked if there is a difference in the Mexican and Puerto Rican Quience, well the Mexican as I know from my mother who is Puerto Rican ,were origianlly the ones that first had the Quience, and my mother said that as the Island People from Puerto Rico came to live in the states they saw what a beautiful tradition it was so they adapted it to their own liking. My mother also informed me along with my grandmother who is 98 years old in PUerto Rico that many many years ago, the puerto ricans did hold a "coming out party" for their daughters who were of age (usually around the age of 16) but that was mostly done in conjunctions with letting the towns people know that she was eligible for marriage. Now its a celebration of youth. Since the mexicans origianally had the Quience, it has a very thick catholic background. The ceremony is beautiful but since I am not catholic, it did not fit our needs. As I am looking on how to adapt it.. I have also found out that there are churches here (the americans) are presenting a "CROWING CEREMONY" for their daughters who complete certain bible books, memorize bible verses, host youth activities in their home, and volunteer . This "Crowing Ceremony" believe it or not looks almost like our Quience, the churches are even having all girls participate in this at the same time/day in the church. Also, even people of the jewish faith have a like barmitzvah (but for the girls, I don`t know the exact name). This is done a lot in our neighborhood. I have figured out that many ethenic groups of something of the same nature. It`s really nice to see how they celebrate the girl becoming a responsible, caring and trusting woman.
Posted by Mom; updated 06/14/04

P.S. You mentioned that you are having the flower girl and that you are interested in the candle ceremony. I for my daughter knew about this, but my daughter said that she did not want to have her quience look like a wedding. So we are omitting that part and reserving it for her wedding after she finishes all of her school and graduates from college in the future. We are making the point that school is important, and if the Lord is willing to find a helpmate (soulmate, husband) that will come in due time. We are not having the full 7 girls (damas) court, only having 3 of her best friends and 3 of her best (boy friends from school). The girls will be wearing a formal gown of their choosing, the boys will be wearing dark suits w/ tie. At the party, the court will be changing into traditional puerto rican attire and present to the guest a dance that was taught to them by my mother. The girls will be in beautiful white tiered skirts and white peasant blouses and flowers in their hair, barefoot. The guys will have shirts from the island called (I Can`t spell this too good but it is prounced "guajavada shirts" and island dark pants also barefoot) My mother is looking for a beautiful old island music to be played. So see... It can be done to your liking. Do whatever sounds good to you, make it unique. :)
Posted by Mom; updated 06/14/04

Thank i want it to be some wut unique but i also want it to b some wut tradittional too. And i just wanted to know the meaning behind the flower girl and the candle`s. Becaus ewhere i read a bout them they didnt gve the full meaning like who lights them and the hole reson of why thier there they gave a little like the each of the 15 candles represents 1 year of the quinceanera`s life but thats it. And i just wanted to find out more on it.
Posted by quince girl; updated 06/14/04

Check out this article:

Http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/lutheranism/103605
Posted by John; updated 08/05/04